Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where's the blue????

Status
Not open for further replies.

skykak

Technical User
Dec 10, 2002
US
Hi,
I have learned more from "lurking" the forum than any "Idiots" or Dummies" publication. Thanks!

Now, it seems I have a problem of my own....
I use a 21" ViewSonic monitor and XP. Out of the blue....no pun.....my display stopped processing any shade of blue.
I have been to every (known to me) place on my HD including the NVidia website with no luck.
I have a sick feeking that my "blue" gun in the monitor itself is shot.
Always wanted a flat screen but not so soon after the Christmas spending spree.
Can anyone suggest a test that would preclude a new monitor?
This has been a good one and has been perfection for 5 years (since new).
As it appears now....there is an nasty gray green cast to the display.
Thanks in advance! BC

Howdy:

Simplest way to check to see if it is your monitor is to put yours on another system and see what happens.. Same screen, bad monitor..

Also, you could try a different monitor on your just to rule out video card problems..

Murray

I second that. Switch the PC or monitor. It is the quickest way to rule out the monitor as the problem.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

Hi,
if you haven't been tinkering with your PC/Monitor just before this problem, what I have to suggest probably won't apply.

But, if you had cause to unpug the monitor from the PC and the problem began after you put it back - I would suggest you look at the pins in the connector, you may have bent one - they are easy to bend and with one bent you can still "connect" your monitor without realising what you've done.

Regards. I am not a number. I am a free man!
(6)

Thanks for all the suggested "delays" in my purchase of a new monitor.
We expect some warning before the expiration of anything electronic or mechanical.
In this case....it was/is the blue gun. Without this primary color all others would be perfect for someone color-blind.
Since I'm not....Hello Best Buy.
New ViewSonic is up and running. (Fought the urge for a flat panel!)
Now, how to dispose of a monster 21" monitor...works fine if you don't like blue or any other color derived from the mix.
Suggestions? The repair could be expensive. Some say let it rest in peace. (pull the plug?)
Thanks again for the time. Cheers, BC

I would have rung a couple of places to price up the job - but NOT "CP" World - lets have no mistakes about that.

I would suggest putting it to one side - at some point in the future you may end up with a graphics card that supports 2 monitors save a little cash and get it fixed - there is no hurry if you already have a monitor, lol.

C Ya.

As CrookedHouse says, I don't mind having an extra monitor kicking around. Even a less than perfect one might come in handy in a pinch - it's difficult to do anything with computers without being able to see.

At least you were safe from the 'blue screen of death'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back