Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where's my Flash drive? Not on My Computer ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickerry

Technical User
Jan 8, 2005
US
Got a 2MB flash drive from CompUSA by Computer Connect that says it doesn't need a driver, and it does come up fine on some other machines I have access to.
but on my home computer, running XP Pro SP2 fully updated, it does not show up under My Computer. It may show up as an "unrecognized USB device" in Device Mgr, i'm not sure...

Any ideas what i can do to get my computer (and My Computer) to recognize this flash drive?

many many thx

Mikl

A bird in the hand makes typing difficult.

USB thumb drives working on some PCs but failing to show up on other PCs is an undocumented Windows "feature".

For a workaround that usually works, you can open Internet Explorer and type the drive letter F: (or whatever) in the address bar then his enter.

thx, frank4D - that does recognize it. (Whew)

Is there a way to get it to show up on My Computer that you know of?

Mikl

Microsoft has a KB article on the subject, but the wording doesn't accurately describe the problem. It says "You attach a USB-based device to a computer that is running Microsoft Windows XP. Then, you try to scan for hardware devices. However, the computer may not detect the attached device, and you may not see the device in the My Computer folder."

But if you can see it in Internet Explorer... that would seem to indicate XP is detecting it just fine... My Computer just doesn't display it.

thx for the note and reference, frank4D

i've checked and don't have UpperFilters or Lowerfilters in my registry anywhere, so that adjustment is not going to help.

It still would be easier to manage files to have the I:\ drive that is my flash drive show up in My Computer. I wonder if i've disabled its appearance with some setting somehwere...

Mikl

Check the Disk Management console - we;ve got a few machines here that show it in there. You change the drive letter and it appears in My Computer....weird

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy

ah -- where's the Disk Management console ? (Sorry - i should probably know that)

Mikl

Right click "My Compter" and you will see "Manage", should be the fourth option down. Click on Manage, then under "Storage" you should see "Disk Management".

so i'm in Computer Management,Disk Management, the flash is listed there as Drive I. I changed it to J - still no sign of it on My Computer. rats.

Probably i'm missing something - do you know what it might be?

Mikl

i got it - there's a setting in Tweak UI , My Computer, Drives - needed to check the I drive which was unchecked. Now the I drive shows up in My Computer.

thx to all who chimed in

Mikl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back