Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where would I find A7N8X-E USB 2.0 drivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronvvright

Programmer
Mar 28, 2002
CA
I've an ASUS A7N8X-E, and it has 6 USB 2.0 ports (4 built in, connections for two more) and I can't get them transferring at high speed. I have a 2.0 card reader which works much much faster on my brother's laptop than on my computer. I've installed the USB 2.0 drivers on the MoBo's driver CD to no avail.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Aaron

You shouldn't need additional drivers as long as you are using XP with service Pack1 or newer (SP2 upgrade recommended)
In device manager USB should read "standard enhanced PCI to USB host controller) this means USB2
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Nothing of the sort in my device manager...

Standard OpenHCD USB Host controller (x2)
General Purpose USB...

I have a "Universal Serial Bus controll" under "Other devices" too. It's not very 'high speed' at all.

Have you got USB2 enabled in the bios? it is possible that it got disabled by accident.
Also if you wired up the front USB wrong the controller is unforgiving and can burn out instantly.
Typically:

VCC/RED Data-/White Data+/Green Ground/Black

In two pairs.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

They're hooked up properly, and using them works fine (but they're slow.)

I'm sure I just need drivers, but I can't find them and don't know where to look. I suppose there could be some other setting I'm missing, but drivers have to a key component to the success of USB2, no?

I tried that, but it's not a USB driver at all. It's some "Color Icon Utility" (which I guess is why it's found under Utilities on that page, and not Drivers).

:(

Have you sent a message to Asus about that? Maybe they're not aware of it.

Have you looked at Nvidia's website if they had any driver support for their chipsets?

They do, but their All-In-One doesn't have anything about USB in it...

I'll try to alert ASUS about it, but I get the feeling my message won't be read.

That's pretty strange. As Martin stated, WinXP SP2 shall have native support for USB2.0 parts.
Hmm, could there be an IRQ conflict with another PCI component in your system?

Is the IOAPIC mode enabled in your BIOS? This can change things about the IRQ handling of the system and make the USB2 device appear. If you have PCI cards, changing their positions may have a similar effect, as the PCI position dictates different IRQ lines.

That's pretty strange. As Martin stated, WinXP SP2 shall have native support for USB2.0 parts.

Is the IOAPIC mode enabled in your BIOS? This can change things about the IRQ handling of the system and make the USB2 device appear. If you have PCI cards, changing their positions may have a similar effect, as the PCI position dictates different IRQ lines.

I've managed to get it to high speed by going into the device manager and uninstalling everything with "USB" in its name. Then I rebooted. XP detected the devices, rebooted again, and it's fast now.

Turns out the drivers come with SP1 and up, and somewhere in the past, Microsoft dictated that nobody shall distribute USB2 drivers with their hardware? I read that somewhere, and would explain why ASUS doesn't have any.

I tried contacting ASUS anyway, but couldn't find my serial number (tossed the MoBo box) and didn't feel like opening my case since the issue was solved and I'd lost all ambition. Heh.

Thanks for the help folks. Much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back