Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where tp put files. 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin97355

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
US
On a desktop implementation of SUSE 10.0 as I download and install programs/files is there a standard place to put these or do I just put them in a floder and call it good? Also, does SUSE have a package manager like RPM or Deb or Apt that extracts programs and installs them or do I need to use the .configure / install routine? Thanks for the input, Steve

The answer has always been 42

Suse uses rpm, which will install the programs properly for you.

If you are unsure where to put binaries, it is generally acceptable to put them in /usr/local/bin if they should be accessible to all users. Source files are frequently unpacked and built in the /usr/local/src directory tree.

Individual users have a ~/bin directory that is in their path, so individuals should put their shell scripts and personal binaries there. It should already be in their path unless you changed the skeleton.

As far as data files are concerned, that is a personal decision.

And TonyGroves is correct, RPM is the package manager for SuSE.

pansophic

Check out 'man hier' for filesystem hierarchy info. It will help you get the 'big filesystem location' picture.

Also see 'yast' for Suse's system admin/config tool, with a module for package management.

----
JBR

Thanks guys, That was the info I was looking for. I'll check the man page out tonight.

The answer has always been 42

A problem is that the standard SuSE packages have been installed with YAST. If you use RPM to install something YAST won't know about it, and then each package manager is keeping it's own list of installed packages, which is a pain to administer. YAST will install an RPM file; I recommend that you do it this way so you only have one list of installed packages.

How to install an RPM with YAST? In KDE, I simply doubleclick any *.rpm file and YAST opens it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back