Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to upload my website to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawkz

Programmer
Oct 25, 2005
GB
Hi, i have designed a website and bought a domain name. All i need to do now is ftp it somewhere. Please can someone tell me somewhere i can register for free web space (100mb+) to upload the site to. Need to be able to use ftp & mysql. Also be able to upload while connecting to the internet with telewest & btbroadband.

Please can anyone advise?

Kindest thanks,

SH

Have you checked with your ISP? They often provide some free webspace as part of your package. If not (and you don't mind loads of ads plastered over your site) then google for free hosting. Remember that you always get what you pay for!

Steam Engine Prints

Thanks for replying, im going to leave telewest (as i no longer have skyone :-(, and BT is my connection to work. And already have a website on that. I have an account with uklinux.net but i can not connect with ftp unless i dial up with a modem.

Please can someone tell me somewhere i can register for free web space (100mb+) to upload the site to. Need to be able to use ftp & mysql.

You are unlikely to get any combination of those. If you want MySQL you probably need some kind of server side code (PHP or ASP) which you won't get with free hosting.
You will not be able to use your own hostname for free either.

take a look at & for reasonably priced solutions.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Check out this thread. It is more specifically for PHP but lists a number of free hosts providing access to MySQL:
thread434-1314406

Clive
Runner_1Revised.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer." (Paul Ehrlich)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
To get the best answers from this forum see: faq102-5096

That seems, uh, weird.
No, it's how the business model of some "free" hosts works.

You offer people hosting, often with a domain name thrown in, for no up-front charge. However, you configure it such that the site can only be updated by people that dial-up to a particular premium phone number - from which you take a cut of the profits.

Personally I'd avoid free hosting. Either it's not really free (see above), or it's severely curtailed in functionality, or it's plastered with adverts and other stuff you can't control, or it's likely to go tits up at any minute because there's no money coming in to support it.

Paid hosting can be very cheap these days - you can find plenty out there for less than £30 p.a. What's more, you may be able to use stuff like affiliate schemes and Google ads to generate money enough money from your site to cover its costs.

Providing hosting costs money. Trying to get it for free just may not be worth it.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Try Verio it is very dependable and reasonably priced. Free hosting is like free groceries. The medical bills aren't worth it.

Bill Couture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back