Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to Store User DB and Temp DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

deejay33

IS-IT--Management
May 30, 2002
US
Hello All,

I am setting up a brand new SQL 2012 Server. I have configured this server with three different RAID arrays to maximize disk performance. A mirror for the OS, a mirror for the log files and a RAID 10 array for the databases. My question is in regards to the Data Directories tab of the Database Engine configuration page of the install. I am asked to provide locations for the following.

Data root directory:
User database directory:
User database log directory:
Temp DB directory:
Temp DB log directory:
Backup directory:

Should those be split up onto the different arrays just as I am our databases? IE the db's on the RAID 10, the log files on the log mirror and the backup dir on the OS mirror? And where would the Data root directory fall in that? Here is what I am proposing. Is this the best practice?

Data root directory: My RAID 10 array
User database directory: My RAID 10 array
User database log directory: My Mirror for logs
Temp DB directory:My RAID 10 array
Temp DB log directory: My Mirror for logs
Backup directory: My Mirror for the OS

I appreciate the feed back. I hope to complete the installation this morning.

Best regards,
Daniel

I'd venture say your proposed configuration is correct. You have the OS on a separate disk, the logs and the data files on their own separate volumes too. Unless your tempdb is gonna be a very busy one, it's gonna be just fine on the RAID 10. If your backups are going to be on you OS volume, just make sure you have enough space. Monitor your backup files and ensure that they are deleted every so often, dictated by your needs of course.

MCP SQL Server 2000, MCTS SQL Server 2005, MCTS SQL Server 2008 (DBD, DBA)

Thanks for the reply! I spoke with a consultant at the end of the day yesterday and he also said those were the correct choices. Glad I seem to have a consensus of SQL experts agreeing!

Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back