Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitch87

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
AU
Hi,

I want to become more serious about webdesign (more professional). But im not sure what to learn next.

So far I can use Adobe Photoshop and Macromedia Dreamweaver to create not to bad looking websites. Im talking about static website, not database driven ones.

I want to move on to bigger sites. But not sure where to start. ASP? Coldfusion? PHP? any others?

If your a designer of these larger type site, can you give a little advice on what to choose, and any tips for getting started?

Thanks alot

P.S if you have any book titles that will help me out on your suggestion please post:)

Hi,

I am learning PHP as it is a scripting language made specifically for the web. I bought the book "PHP and MySQL Web Development" by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson and it's a great book for learning PHP.

Your other option is to learn PERL. Many people prefer PERL over PHP because it's more versatile. For database driven websites your best bet is MySQL. Coldfusion is also a good one to learn b/c it is very easy to pickup.

Hope this helps!

relax.gif

Keep up to date with my 2003 NHL Playoffs Wallpaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back