Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where to send laptop to be opened to put new hard drive in under $40

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomcruise3230

Technical User
May 3, 2005
US

Dear members:

does any one know please where do isend my laptop to be opened to take out the old hd and put a new hd in? (checked bestbuy, circui tcity, staples, and my nearest toshiba laptop providers: all do it for at least 70 dollars just for taking out hd and installing a new one!)?
Also, can you tell me how to open up a laptop or articles that do show you how step by step and other things? please let me know as soon as u can! thank you very much

what model is the laptop? The tosh's I work with are dead easy to replace the hd off.

Usually there is an unscrewable panel on the side or front which when removed reveals the drive and it's bay. Remove the bay, replace the drive and put it all back together :).

Many Toshiba laptops have that single small panel on the bottom to remove in order to reach the hard drive. Others, regrettably require almost a complete dismantling of the computer in order to reach the disk. The Toshiba Satellite 1700 Series is a classic example of the latter.

Try this site:-

You might find your model there...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

i have tohsiba satellite 1400-s151. i unscrewed everything but the hard drive didnt came out like its stuck. therefore, regretably i think i have the ones GOAOZ mentioned (require almost a complete dismantling of the computer in order to reach the disk) because i unscrewed the panel where the hard drive is and just won't come out. therefore, is their an article i can fine online u know that can help me out on how to dismantle the entire laptop to take the hd out? (check the link GOA0Z gave me: doesn't have my laptop)

I assume you can physically see the drive. I'd guess it's in a tray, and the tray affixed with maybe 3 or 4 screws. Sometimes the minature IDX drive connector is permanently affixed to the case or motherboard, other times it's loose or can be unscrewed. The wires or ribbon cable are extremely fragile, so great care is needed when dealing with this connection. Determine if you can ease off this connector before undoing the drive tray screws, or if the connector is permanently affixed. If the connector is fixed and cannot be unscrewed, then the drive will have to be slid horizontally roughly an eighth of an inch so it disengages with the minature IDX connector before you can lift it out. I found on the Toshiba 1700 that I could disengage the IDX connector before undoing the drive tray screws. But I found the tray was literally stuck quite firmly to part of the case structure, and only gentle levering upwards would release it.

That's as much as I can tell you...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

it is in a tray and is permanetly affixed to the case. therefore i have to try to take it out the way u did with toshiba 1700 because i tried other things and thats the only thing that cando it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back