Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to Next in Programming 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harami12

Programmer
May 5, 2024
KH
Hey everyone, so I've finally got a good handle on the basics of programming. But I'm kind of lost on what to do next. There are so many directions to go in! Should I stick to what I know or explore something totally new? How did you decide which path to take after mastering the basics? Any advice or personal experiences to share? Thanks in advance!

thx

The way you say "a good handle on the basics of programming" makes me thing you really don't. That's just too vague.

What I mean by that, what specific language(s) have you become competent in? You can't get a job as a programmer if you list "basics of programming" in your resume or CV.

If your goal is to become a professional programmer (paid), I would suggest getting competent with the following languages...

Low Level Procedural Language: C
Interpreted Language: Python
Object Oriented Language: Java
Shell Scripting: bash and/or ksh
OS Skillz: Linux
Web Stack: HTML, CSS, Javascript
Database: SQL
Books: That one about "Design Patterns"

Others WILL suggest a completely different list, but this covers a lot of different "tools". One of the most important skills you can develop is knowing which tool is correct for the task you are trying to automate. If all you know is Java, you may write a whole program for something that could have been a three line shell script. If all you know is C, you may write a huge program for something that could have been solved with a short Java program, or even shorter Python script. The bigger you make your "toolbox", the easier it will be to get and keep a good paying programming job.

Aside from computer languages / platforms / scripts / patterns, etc. (unless you have a very good Business Analyst placed between you and your users who is capable to ‘translate’ between you and your users) you will need to become a BA yourself. With over 2.5 decades in programing, my most difficult and frustrating part was and is: figuring out what really users want and need. Believe it or not, most of them do not know it. Some of them do know and it is a pleasure to work with such people, but they are a few and far apart.

You will have to become very knowledgeable of their processes, rules, exceptions, etc. You will know (well, should know) a lot more about it than any average user of your application(s).

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back