Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to get a free Web Mail Client

Status
Not open for further replies.

devostyle

MIS
Jan 27, 2001
US
I have a linux server hosting my own email and domain. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good(and free) web based email client so I can check my email over the internet. Thanks in advance for your help.

After I posted that, I decided that maybe that's not quite what you're after. The link above could be used to check you're email, but if you're looking for the software to run on your server, take a look at My personal ISP uses it, so from the client side, it's pretty nice. I don't know how it is to set up...I'm going to try it one of these days on my work server, but haven't gotten around to it.

try Squirrel Mail [www.squirrelmail.org] ... it is coded in PHP, is quite fast, and supports several IMAP servers...

good luck...

From a user perspective (haven't setup either), I have one ISP that uses IMP (part of HORDE), and one that uses SquirrelMail. SquirrelMail seems to have a better interface to me.

Thanks Guys. I tried both horde and squirrel mail and I think I'm gonna go with the squirl mail. The interface seems to be a little cleaner. Thanks for the advice.

try this it is a cgi script it is very easy to install just put the folder in your apache

and add this to you http.conf file

AddHandler cgi-script .cgi

I also had to add the following to my Apache configuration file.

<Directory &quot;/path/to/directory/ab&quot;>
Options ExecCGI
</Directory>

where /path/to/directory/ab is the directory into which I installed the tarball.

Ben

Do any of these webmail solutions besides IMP work with POP?

Open webmail works with POP3, my friends can retrieve their messages via web browser or use Outlook.

Mike

I'd like to also install Open webmail (I need POP3) but I'm not the host of my website... webhostpalace is. Is is possible for me to still use this product without having to change the http.conf file? Can I just install the folder on my php-able site?

Openwebmail is buggy, I like neomail, squirrelmail is good too, horde is ok, and Ubimail sucks!

Lots of people go for SquirelMail as it is free. The trade off probably the installation and the features.

If you use phpNuke, you can offer a pop3 retrieval system to your users.

There are also inexpensive software that allow you to provide web mail system, such as SocketMail (
:)

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back