Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where to find built-in variable reference??

Status
Not open for further replies.

capitano

Programmer
Jul 30, 2001
US
I've been programming ColdFusion apps for about 2 years now, have scoured a lot of documentation in that time. but I keep finding "built-in" ColdFusion variables related to particular scopes like the "caller" scope which I've never seen or read about.

For example, I just discovered this variable existed (through collaboration with another developer):
caller.currentdirectory

Every once in awhile, I find these "built-in" variables that I have not previously seen or read about. Does anybody know where I can find a consise listing of all the CF variables somewhere? I have not come across a good documentation set for this.

I've been using Cf since version 4.0, and in the 4.5 version, they included a quick reference guide with the software package. It's 30 pages long, and it has many of the lesser-known variable attributes listed in it. I'm not sure if you can still get it, but it has a great deal of information in it.

Since it was produced by Allaire, I doubt you'll be able to get your hands on a copy. If you are interested, maybe I could get a copy of it out to you.

Fusionaire

I'm interested.

thicks@wisernet.com

Tony Did I help?
Vote!

Yes, thank you very much. I would be interested in receiving a copy of that quick reference guide. I would also be willing to reimburse for your efforts: copying/postage/or what-have-you.

Let me know what I can do.

Thank you,
Bryan

Bryan@capitanoweb.com

Look in the CFDOCS directory that got installed with the server... usually
and go to the page CFML_Reference/Expressions3.html#2675757
(version 5) or CFML_Reference/Expressions2.html#2711961 (MX) or other versions, just click on ColdFusion Expressions: Operands, Operators and Other Constructs then Variables.

This lists all the built-in scopes, and why and how they're used.

Just so you know...
Code:
#caller.currentdirectory#
is not a built-in variable. It just means that a variable (in the standard Variables. scope) named "currentdirectory" was defined in the page that called the tag that is accessing
Code:
#caller.currentdirectory#
. It's just a cheap way to get at a parent's variable scope.

It's covered more completely in doc pages dealing with custom tag development, etc.

Hope it helps,
-Carl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back