Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where to download MTS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanColin

Technical User
Jul 14, 2002
US
Can someone tell me where I can download a copy of MTS. The Microsoft site only has it as part of a NT4 option pack download that would take me 24 hours to download.

Thank you.

It only comes as part of the NT option pack. I would suggest letting the download run for a day. Craig, mailto:sander@cogeco.ca

Remember not to name the Lambs...
It only makes the chops harder to swallow

For W2K, don't use MTS, use COM+ instead. It acts in the same way, only alittle easier to use...

A program compiled say on NT4 that uses MTS, will when installed on a 2K or XP machine sue COM+ instead.

I'm not aware of anything MTS wise for 98

Craig, mailto:sander@cogeco.ca

In the computer industry, there are three kinds of lies:
lies, damn lies, and benchmarks.

There is a Option pack for 98 that puts on MTS (with restrictions) because of the OS.

MTS can not be installed on W2k or XP because MTS has been intergrated with the OS as Component Services

Win2K Comes with COM+, and COM+ is a reworked MTS + other stuff (like DTC, etc. all under the same umbrella now).

The NT Option Pack is necessary to install MTS on NT 4 or Win9x. You use the NT Option Pack to install the newer version of PWS and MTS on Win 9x.

Some (most) Win98SE CDs had the PWS installer on them. I can't remember if MTS was part of that package or not. EVerything I see recommends using the NT Option Pack on 9x. It has stuff for both NT 4 and 9x.

The Option Pack has a LOT of goodies in it, such as MSMQ 1.0 which is a vastly underrated chunk of middleware you'll hear more about in the near future. I attended an MS Win2K3/VS2K3 rollout wingding here today. The guy presenting on Win2K3 Server as a development platform says MS blew it by calling this thing the "Option Pack" and suggested it should have been called "Application Services" or "Mandatory Pack" instead.

For NT 4 Server w/o the Option Pack all you really have is a domain controller, RAS server, or a file/print services box. Basically just a LAN server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back