Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

where to configure printer on W2k Pro Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

energy4life

IS-IT--Management
Mar 10, 2002
US
On the PCs running W2k upgrade, the "add a printer" wizard (start ->settings -> printer -> add a printer -> network printer) doesn't let me browse to the printer.

I could browse easily on the PCs running clean/new versions of W2k (version 5.00.2195 SP2).

How else can i get network printers installed? I'm sure there are 3+ ways to do most things on a MS desktop .... (right? lol)

try running the con2prt.exe utility. Search for it on Google. It is used in batch scripts for connecting to a network printer. I use it for all my printer installs.

Try this way to add a network printer:
Start -> Settings -> Printers -> Add Printer
Then chose Local Printer instead Network printer and Create a new port -> Standard TCP/IP port.
Now all you must do is to follow Wizard (and also you must know your printer's IP adress).
hope i helped you.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Allways make a new mistake!

Win2k supports point and print. Just browse your network for the shared printer you want to add. Then double click the icon. Windows will then ask you if you want to set up the particular printer. Answer yes. Have the drivers handy JIC

HTH

Rich
[frog]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back