Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where Should I Start? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

MIS
Apr 7, 2001
US
I gotten training on 2.5, books on 2.6 and 2.7, and only "really used" 2.4.

What should my "test lab" look like?

How useful is this cert, really? I don't expect an immediate payraise or folks crawling over each other to hire me. I'm just looking to see what value other people put on it...

Some background:

I have more than ten years IT experience with my current employer (as a programmer, a hardware/software evaluator, a LAN/Server designer, and most recently, high-level assessment and design at an enterprise level.

Lately, I've felt "less technical" than I wanted to be so I studied and passed MCSE/MCP+I, Network+, i-Net+, Novell CIBS. I'm studying on my own for the CCNA and the MCSE2K. But of the Unix-based certs, only Sun looked useful (my employer doesn't consider Linux to be "ready for prime-time" yet).

Well, since there was such a thunderous response, I'm in the process of rebuilding some parts into a SPARCserver 10 with Solaris 8... any real-life experience would be gratefully received...

BTW, I did not intend my previous post to imply that I'm studying these things without _any_ hands-on work... I have been puttering around with PCs since the TRS-80 model 3 was considered a good choice... I ran the team webserver on a Sun IPX for about a year (although I wasn't the one who set it up)... And I've done PC and Midrange hardware and software setup, evaluation, design, and implementations for more than 10 years...

I just don't know it all yet... ;-)

JTB
Senior Infrastructure Consultant
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, CCNA/CCDA, CTE,
Network+, i-Net+, CIBS, CIW Assoc.
(MCSE-W2K, MCIWD, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back