Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where is the new Aloha Version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joenoreason

Technical User
Nov 20, 2008
US
When is Aloha going to come out with the update to their delivery/takeout features? My business is 60/40 dine in/delivery. I love Aloha for dine in, but lets face it, the delivery features are old news.

Talk to your dealer, the new one is called Aloha Takeout and has been available for about a year I think.

It is Aloha TakeOut or ATOD. So much better than the old one and much more configurable with XML files.

three flavors

ATO - Takeout
ATOD - Takeout w/ Delivery
ATOD+M - Takeout, Delivery w/ Mapping

It runs on SQL so you need terms with 1G of RAM for best performance.

Aloha Take-Out or To Go has been out for about a year. It is essentially a "top hat" that installs on top of Iber (aloha pos) at each terminal that will use it. Licensing is based on terminal(s) using it.

The terminal will need to have some horsepower and memory as you are now running several additional programs otherwise it will be unacceptably slow.

As a former reseller our experience with To Go was mixed. Too many customers found it was too many buttons strokes to move around compared to other product (like Diamond Touch POS). Several had us remove the program and wanted a return of their money. I understand Radiant has found a niche with the direct accounts and chains. It seems to work better for that group.

Also if you are using Caller ID, the caller ID box is different for To Go than for Delivery/FB so their is a hardware change that is required.

I received a pretty steep quote (almost 6 grand?) from my dealer to upgrade my system to the newest version of aloha and to add takeout, delivery and mapping and 2 hours of training. Seems a bit ridiculous to me...

So, for that price I think I'll just stick with what I have and spend the 6 thousand dollars on something that will actually net me a return...

I'm sure its nice, but is it really 6 grand nicer than the version of takeout/delivery/frequent buyer that I am currently running? Doubtful.

If you have read some other threads on Aloha, it has been discussed how Radiant/Aloha is pursuing large corp. accounts. They are not worried about independent restaurants so much as Aloha did on its own in the early days.
They hope Chilpote opts to do delivery out of 800 of their stores and then it is worth their time to upgrade and customize the interfaces based on their feedback, not yours.
Alot of your cost is upgrading hardware, such as memory, cost of the software alone, and adding MS SQL, and of course labor hours.
Do the numbers, it may pay for itself over a period of time if it saves you from loosing orders (which is the same as customers), makes the business run more effectively, and cuts labor cost.

Bo

Remember,
If the women don't find you handsome,
they should at least find you handy.
(Red Green)

But my hardware exceeds the requirements and my server is already running sql. Installation labor hours were only a few hundred dollars on my quote which I have no problem paying for.

Then don't upgrade.

For some, the additional functionality available will improve sales. For me, if spending 6 grand would increase sales in one of my locations 1%, then the investment is a no brainer and a great investment (Yes, I know that for some, maybe 1% isn't as much as other concepts). The final decision is yours and only you know your business needs, and if the product is worth it. If not, then spend the money somewhere else. But, if these other, "large" customers are using this product widespread, then it might mean there is something of value that they have found and proven during testing. Nothing wrong with stealing ideas from the big guys.

If nothing else, call them and find out what they like about the product. Most of the POS/IT staff (Directors, VP's or even Managers) at these companies are used to people calling and asking questions about products they are using. Outside of security products, they will usually be more than happy to answer your questions.

Others here keep stating how Radiant is pursuing large customers like me. You bet they are, but they are still more aligned for smaller companies that have no IT staff, or minimal IT staff. This is evident with how many of their products (And newer products) they are providing are hosted solutions, whereas with larger customers, hosted solutions are not feasible, and it is usually cheaper to either build or self-host a similar type of product.

Overall, Radiant does provides a good mix for any size concept. There are many POS solutions available that provide only to large scale customers, and other companies that can only provide to smaller concepts only. Not too many can actually go both ways, despite what any sales person says.

MegabyteCoffee.com

I'm not going to. I suppose I was just curious to know if this price was correct, or if this dealer was trying to take me for a ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back