Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where is my CDRW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kishken

Technical User
Feb 12, 2003
CA
I just bought a LG 48X24X48 burner, I installed it to Secondary Master, but Windows 2000 does not see it. How do I fix this? LG suggests to restart in Pio Mode 4 (HOW?). I am running a PII 466 with an award bios.

Is it detected correctly by the bios? What other IDE devices do you have and where are they connected?

The bios does not detect the burner either. I am running hard drives on my Primary master and slave, and the burner is connected as Secondary master with a CDRom as slave. I have tried every configuration possible, but one note, when the burner is connected with another device on the same IDE cable, it makes the other device disappear in the bios and windows also. I just purchased an ultra DMA Control Card and set the burner as Primary master, but still nothing.

The jumpher is not set to CS-Cable Select is it?

I have seen this once, but was with a hard drive, so bare with me. Go into your BIOS, where the devices are listed make sure they are set to Auto, I know on the ABIT boards, you can go in one step futher and there is two other Auto settings. (Going from memory here, Do not have a board handy to look at) Those two other Auto settings under EACH device, make sure they are set to Auto as well and if they are, highlight them and "activate" (lack of better term) and leave at auto. If the BIOS is not detecting the burner, then this is the only thing I can think of as long as the cable is good, the jumpers are correct and the on board controller is hot.

I have been a little hesitant to post here because I am not knowledgable about what's going on. However im not seeing any answer to the comment/question about pio mode.
I've done a couple of google searches and put some links below. These might give you some clues.
But a caveat DO NOT DO ANYTHING YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND THE EFFECTS OF. One of those links suggests to me that there may be an option in your bios that you can toggle from auto to various modes. It ALSO suggests CARE in what you're doing and the possibility of damage if you do the wrong thing.

Thanks for the idea wlpsyp. I set the extended settings to Auto as well, but still nothing. My last resort before smashing this thing on the floor is to download the updated chipset drivers from the mainboard manufacturer. I'm crossing my fingers.

Raching here, but have you changed the IDE cable? What kind of cable are you using? 40 or 80 pin?

Well, I've done all I could. The last thing I tried was installing it in my Dell P4. It also did not recognize the CDRW. Must be the hardware. I give up.

SInce it would not work in your Dell, I would suspect a bad drive if you have tried everything mentioned.

I took it back to the retailer and got a new one... IT WORKS!!!! Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back