Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where is config.sys in Win2K ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitfixer

Technical User
Apr 11, 2001
IE
I used to run an old DOS based 16-bit app in Windows 98 by adding a couple of lines to the Autoexec.bat file;

set clipper= f111;e0

and the config.sys file;

files=111

Windows 2000 pro will not run the application, giving an error message similiar to the one Win98 gave when the above files were not modified
Win2K does not have these startup files, so how can I make it run my 16-bit application
I would be grateful of any help or suggestions

You can probably find your answer in the following MS Knowledge Base article.

Troubleshooting MS-DOS-Based Programs in Windows (Q165214) Marc Creviere

well, the environment variable "clipper" can be set by right clicking on My Computer, selecting Properties, then the Advanced tab, and finally the Environment Variables button. Add a new entry named "clipper" with a value of f111;e0.

Regarding the "files" setting...I really don't think that is necessary.

If the application is trying to do any direct hardware calls then it probably will not work in an NT/W2K/XP environment as you would need a driver/service layer to provide those functions.

Doug
dxd_2000@yahoo.com

fitfixer:

The programs are now called autoexec.nt and config.nt. These are the default files that are run when you open a DOS program in Windows 2000. You can configure different startup files of your own naming. If you wish, you could just copy the Win98 startup files to a folder in W2k and use those by right clicking on your program file, selecting the Program tab, then clicking the Advanced button and browsing to the directory with the Win98 startup files.

Regards,

Mike

Tao is the mobius. The ribbon of heaven and earth, you cannot lose your way.

Thanks for the help guys, I found the *.nt files in the System 32 folder and inserted the lines as suggested,
The application now runs, but crashes when I try to modify a DBF file with the Error message
"unrecoverable error, 5311; cannot create a VM swop file"

It Worked!
Thanks TestNode, I inserted the following in the Config.NT file; shell=%systemroot%\system32\command.com /e:1024
My DOS application is now working fine,I was beginning to think that it would not run under W2K, thanks again to FilthPig and DXD, I am grateful for your suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back