Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where/How to Learn more than the Very Basics

Status
Not open for further replies.

DouglasLB

Technical User
Jun 18, 2001
US
I have been sent to the Access 1,2,and 3 classes and need to advance way beyond this.

Can anyone recommend a good course or plan of action to gain the advance skills demonstrated by the individuals on this website?

Any particularly good books that are easy to follow for the novice?

thanks

Access 97 Developer's Handbook by Litwin, Getz and Gilbert (SYBEX) is a must. Also, just spending time on this site will increase your knowledge... Terry M. Hoey

The Access97 Developer's Handbook is good. However, it can look daunting to an intermediate programmer (I have it, but parts of the book still leave me as befogged as before.).

I have found Using Access97 by Roger Jennings (QUE)to be great. It has been my main sourcebook for learning Access, and it does go into depth where the other "Learn to use Access" books don't.

I would be interested in seeing what the experienced users would recommend for developing skills in VBA.

Depends on your skill level. Using Access 97 is great. However I think the best is the Access 2.0 manual. It got me into Access and taught me the basics of relational databases. I never could understand them until I read that manual. My dog eared copy is kept dear to my heart.

All of the above answers are GREAT! I started out with NO knowledge of Access at all and the Using Access 97 (QUE)Book. I also found the samples databases, Nothwinds, Solutions and Orders to be very useful. After 4 years of using Access, my employeer finally decided to send me to the classes. What I learned was 2 keyboard shortcuts! I've found the best way to learn is to "Just Do It". The more you do, the more you'll learn. And for all those times, when you're at the end of your rope and thinking that "it just can't be done"..... this site and all the wonderful people here, will an absolute Godsend! I've learned more on this site than any class could have taught me! Have faith in yourself, confidence in your abilities and know there is a whole community of wisdom ready to back you up and give you 14 different ways to solve any problem you might have!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back