Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where does XP store Windows Upates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarified

Technical User
Jun 26, 2002
US
I'd like to archive the patches that get automatically pulled down from Windows Update. I have XP Pro and would like to find the directory that the updates are stored in. WUtemp doesn't exist, and I know the updates are downloaded ready to install. Is this a wacky idea?! I'd really like to find out where those patches are stored...

The are stored in seperate folders in C:\Windows, look at the top of the directory listing for $NTunistallQxxxx$ folders.

But I cannot conceive of how this might help you. If you want to archive them print out a listing of the folder names, and then go to
Use the Windows Catalogue feature to download each individual service packlet.

While what you have already downloaded often leaves behind file changes, it usually does not leave an installer stub. It does leave an uninstaller. In short, you could not from these archives restore your XP in any convenient fashion.

The updates have not been installed yet, so no Uninstall directories yet. The updates have been downloaded and XP prompts me that they are ready to install... what if I want to install them manually later, on another machine, or after a fresh install?

Then you would be missing the catalog entries and they would be worthless to you.

Please, just go to the corporate site and download them as individual self-installing packages.

You can then use other features such as Qchain.exe to make the whole process much easier on you:
This is the formal process to safely handle multiple hotfix and service pack issues. As it is available, free, and painless, it would be really a waste of your time to figure out alternatives.

Hmmm.. It looks like I need to understand HOW Windows Update works. Thanks for the advice!

Two options for controlling Automatic Updates.

You can right click on the My Computer icon and select Properties then select the Automatic Updates tab. Here you can check the box to "Configure Windows to notify you before downloading any updates............".

Any updates downloaded this way are probable kept for a short time in either your usernames temp folder or a special folder used by windows update. They would only be kept until installed then deleted without trace at the completion of the update process. (You can ask Microsoft, why?). Sometimes you can locate them in the System Restore folder but that can be awkward.

Or you can disable the "Automatic Updates" service in Services.

Do you updates manually.

By following these instructions you can save any update to disk for later installation.
Perform the following steps to view the Windows Update Catalog:

Visit the Windows Update Web site:

Allow it to Scan for Updates and note the details of any updates offered.
Return to the home page of the Windows Update Web Site.

Click Personalize Windows Update.
Select the Display the link to the Windows Update Catalog under See Also check box.
Click Save Settings.
A Windows Update Catalog link appears under See Also. Click the Windows Update Catalog link.
Click Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
Click the appropriate product (windows XP SP1 etc.), and then click Search.
Click Recommended Updates.
Locate the patch you want, and then click Add.
Click Go to download basket.
In the Type or browse to the download location of your choice box, type the full path for the folder in which you want to save the patch. Or, click Browse to browse to the folder.
Click Download Now.

WUTemp only exists for the lifetime of the installation, the last thing Windows Updates does is delete the WUTemp directory.

A fairly simple method of savingyour updates is to go to the Update site, let it decide what updates are available, then you decide what updates you want to install and click on Install

Then click on the Accept button to begin the download

While the download is downloading you will see a WUTemp (for some reason mine is always on my D drive, even though windows is on C) then, and this is the tricky bit, AFTER the updates have finished downloading (first progress bar in the donload window) and BEFORE the updates have finished installing (second progress bar) COPY (not move) the WUTemp directory to a different drive/directory.

Then, when windows has finished installing and it deletes the WUTemp directory, you have a copy of all the updates you have just downloaded. Burn them to disk, and next time you re-install XP you can just execute each update one by one from the disk. If you use a CD-RW you can continuosly add newer updates as they become available and you download them.

On a 56K modem (like me) this saves bucket loads of time.

-------------------------------------------
There is no magic, only onions

Its always interesting to see these types of threads around saving Windoze updates.

I would recommend against saving ANY updates for future installations/reinstallations EXCEPT in LIMITED instances and knowledgeable insight to avoid confusion and/or security holes and/or proper operation.

The exceptions can be a little confusing and likewise tricky to track if your not doing so on a regular basis along with alot of noting as time goes on ESPECIALLY when reinstalling as some updates over-write previous updates and theres no reason to gum up or error a new install byinstalling an update on top of an update.

The major reasons being that updates change and an older update may no longer be required AND/or cause problems IF installed in an improper order OR are no longer a requirement.

Some examples where saving updates could exist is where you have more then one system, several larger updates and/or or a sloooow connection for downloading, Then and near only then would I down load and save the updates to install on more then one system that already has the required updates as of the current download(s), again, using knowledgeable insight and understanding.

Even on a 'Turtle Connection' its can be alot easier to just set a computer or two up to download even an hour or two worth of updates (if your isp is connection friendly =), and find something else to do or head for bed after setting the option to disconnect after a certain idle period (5 to 10 minutes is plenty!).

But thats just my opinion and insight of experience around Windoze updates.

Cheers..

-Z

As long as you ensure that you install them in the same order as they are downloaded (ie oldest update first, not newest update first), so as to avoid any overwritting issues then I see little problem, all you are doing it replicating the same steps as the update website.

You "download" them (in this case off the CD)
Then you install them

Indeed, even microsoft has no problems with this method and has supplied a tool to help install multiple updates with having to reboot inbetween each update.

from "http:" to "NoWebContent=1" is all one URL so you might need to cut and paste it into your browser to visit the site.

To quote from the page:
"Note that you can install updates and hotfixes either alone or in combination with Windows (with or without a service pack)."

There is no magic, only onions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back