Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where does WinXP store Compatibility Mode settings? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeteruNeko

Technical User
Dec 29, 2004
US
'lo. I am doing some tech support on an older "educational" title, which needs to use Compatibility Mode to run properly in WinXP. The problem is that the Compatibility Mode has to be done in a very specific way otherwise it won't work. The user has already tried compatibility mode, so I want to wipe out all previously saved settings, but am unsure where the settings are saved.

Any takers?

Thanks,
Will

Can't you just uncheck the Compatibility Mode settings from the Properties of the exe which should revert it back to running in XP Mode?

How to Use Windows Application Compatibility Mode.

285909 - How to Troubleshoot Program Compatibility Issues in Windows XP

For information about how to obtain and install the Application Compatibility Toolkit, visit the MSDN Windows Application Compatibility Web site.

My problem is that I have no way of knowing what files they have changed or edited with compatibility settings. This program has to be installed very particularly, otherwise it doesn't work. If you have settings made prior to installing it, it doesn't work also. Finally, I also wish to know where this information is saved for personal edu-mi-fi-ca-tion.

Never seen it before. Interesting program, but I need to run the software in Windows 95 mode, rather than as a different user.

Recently solved one of my problems (after trying changing 101 permissions!) running an older educational title (which often need to run as admin or with admin level access to various resources) - but if you're running as admin already, obviously no use.

Doesn't linney's suggestion of unticking the box work?

PS. Slightly off track - but just tried running regmon & filemon while setting compatibility mode to try to track what it does - and got a blue screen! (first time on this machine under XP)

Since I am assisting this person over an email link, I have no way of knowing if they applied the compatibility changes to the startmenu shortcut, the program itself after installing, on the install executable before installing or after installing, since there are several executables for installing on the CD, which one was affected, the list goes on. Rather than checking each an every single possibility, I would rather find where all this is kept in the registry and figure out how to revert it so there is no problem.

Found it in registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

There's a list of REG_SZ named by full app paths, values holding their compatibility setting(s), just try all options and see what you need ;-)

Apps need to be restarted to get the new setting applied.
Removing a key restores XP 'compatibility'

HTH
TonHu

Thank you! I tried using the systeminternals tools and it seemed to get bogged down by how long it took to complete the wizard. erg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back