Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where does Outlook write it's temp files on a W2K workstation? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

matrixseven

Technical User
Oct 22, 2002
US
Anybody know were in the registry Outlook writes it's temporary files? I have searched for days and can't come up with anything. Windows 2000 professional O/S

In a hidden file called ol2k that is located under Temporary Internet Files.

Thanks for your answer Tour1sarge. I should have explained that I am trying to prevent outlook from keeping files in the outlook temp folder which will require me the make a change in the registry. I am not sure where in the registry or if there can be a change made in the registry that will fix this problem for me. Any suggestions?

Sorry about that, I misunderstood the question. The registry entry that you are looking for should be a string called OutlookSecureTempFolder and it is located under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Security

If you can't find it under this exact path, just do a find in the Registry for OutlookSecureTempFolder. I hope this is helpful.

Thank you tour1sarge. It was right where you said it would be. Now, to get a little more technical. Would there also be an entry in the registry that would prevent outlook from saving files to a temp folder for a specific profile, where would I find it and how would I change the settings?

If you do a search for OutlookSecureTempFolder in your Registry, all of the entries for all of the profiles will show up and you can tweak them as you wish-Provided that you are logged in an administrator on that machine. However, to be specific, there are entries in the HKEY_USERS that will also contain this. There should be a .DEFAULT and also some folders that have a long string of numbers and letters. These refer to specific profiles on that PC and is specific to one profile each. You would follow the same path within the folder with the long name and it will be there also. For Example: Say the users SID was S-1-2-34567abcdefg1a2b The folder for that particular user would be named that and you would go to:

HKEY_USERS\S-1-2-34567abcdefg1a2b\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Outlook\Security

and you will find the OutlookSecureTempFolder string in there for that user's profile. Hope this is what you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back