Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where does Outlook store its local copy of exchange messages 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcasii

Programmer
Aug 27, 2001
AU
Where does Outlook store its local copy of messages that come from an exchange server? I have a machine running XP there was a user account on it previously that had outllok connected to an exchnage server. That account have been removed however I am hoping that the local copy of the exchange server messages are still on the machine somewhere.

Are you referring to using Outlook 2003 and having the cached emails or did they use a PST for Outlook 200x?

The default location for the OST and PST files from Outlook 2003 is in C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

---------------------------------------
- Submit your sites free to our directory.

It is Outlook 2003 running from an exchange server. It seems that when running on exchange the email is not stored within the PST file that is the location that you have specified. I have tried the file that is saved there but it is not a vaild Outlook Data File. When it is setup there is a message stating that Outlook is creating local storage for messages however when on exhnage this is not within the normal PST file.

You need to look for an .ost file if you're referring to the file used when using Outlook in cached mode. It should be in the folder that rye8261 listed.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

Whoops - just noticed this is the Exchange 2000 forum and not 2003. Disregard my answer above.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

That's ok I am running Outllok 2003. I have an XML file, a .DAT files and .SRS file and an Office Dtata File (but that does not contain the messages, it is only 81K). I can't seem to find an .OST file?

you're looking in the wrong place. Instead of \application data\..., look in \local settings\application data\...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back