Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where do you display parameters on your report?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robercr12

Programmer
Aug 11, 2009
US
hi,

Lets say the report uses 6 parameters (dynamic or range)and the requirement of the report also is to ** display the names of the parameters and what values were chosen.

example of parameters: City, Buildings, Floors, Rooms

Buildings: 55 Hudson, 22 broadway, 1600 pensylvanina ave
Floors: 05, 12, 45, 32
Rooms: Executive, jersey room, grotto

Have any crystal report developer had a requirement where they had to display the parameters of the report on all pages of the report ----- if so where would you * place it -- in the page header or footer.?

Also if there are 6-8 parameters how would you mange to fit them there?

Thanks
bob

Well I have many reports that have at least 2 parameters,, beginning and ending date.. Due to the nature of the report I put that sort of info, in the page heading,, as in from XXXX to XXXXX,, so it is very clear what the date range is.. If you were using parameters,, such as above.. I would out them in the page heading,, listing them just like you have done,, top left, would be my choice, with page number on top right.

Some of the reports at some client sites have 8 or more parameters in them. All display the parameter values in the Page Header.

It is better to do it there as the Page Header section can expand in size if the parameters are multiple value and need several lines to list all the values. The page footer section can't grow.

Editor and Publisher of Crystal Clear

I am using a Ubound function to display all the values that the user has chosen.

So in the top left corner of the page will look like:

Parameter 1: 225 new york ave, 645 penn ave, 1355 main street
Parameter 2: similar like above
Parameter 3: similar like above
Parameter 4: similar like above
Parameter 5: similar like above
Parameter 6: similar like above
Parameter 7: similar like above

but with many more values - maybe even 7 values. This will go across the width of the page in landscape mode

Question:
This will definitely look gawdy - -would it not?

please comment.

Thanks

The Crystal join function is perfect for displaying the parameters the way you want them displayed.

"Buildings: " + join({?Buildings}, ',')

You can set the parameter display fields to can grow and split the page header into a section for each display parameter so they can all grow as needed. If you have a zillion parameters it may make sense to place them on a report header page.

I am able to display them -- that's not the issue atall.

The question here is "presentation" --

does it not look * gross (for lack of a better word)?? for 6-8 parameter values listed horizontally across the page header? -- Imagine if i am doing this for 7 more parameters listed one below the other as i had described initially.

what options does a designer have when such requirements are there and when he needs to make the report still * presentable??

TIA
bob

When I have those multiple parameter situations and want to reduce the number that you see I only show the paramaters that restrict the data. If they said all I suppress that section.

Moving the paramaters to a report header or report footer page also hides some of the gross. It is still with the report but not on every page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back