Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where do I setup my ISP DNS Server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartibog

MIS
Feb 17, 2003
CA
Hi, I have a Dns server on our internal network, all users point to it, where do I setup my dns server to forward external request to the internet?? THANKS for any help!

open up dnsmgmt.msc
right click on your dns server and click on properties
click on the "Forwarders" tap
click on enabled forwarding
enter in ISP dns.

It worked...Thanks (how do I close this question?)

You don't... it's going to be here for others whom might have the same question...

:)

im having the same trouble with connecting my server to my isp, can anybody supply me with a step by step guide on what i need to change? i have 2 network cards, 1 assigned to external, 1 internal

Cheers

Similar Scenario!

However, "Forwarders are disable, as this is a root server".

This can be fixed by removing the "." zone fromt the console and rebooting. Then forwarder can be added.

Just wondering if this is a good idea, and has any kind of implications?

Regards,

Irregular

Removing the root zone means that your server will not be able to resolve requests on the internet and that it will indeed have to forward requests to another server. This is a great thing to do when you don't want any of your internal DNS data getting out on the internet where hackers can see, so you would combine it with a caching DNS server outside your firewall.

However, if you can't change the "Forwarders Disabled" property of the server, I would suggest checking with other IT people at your company before doing anything like deleting the root zone. Especially if this DNS server is your initial domain controller connected with Active Directory. If DC / AD is the case, DO NOT USE THIS SERVER TO FORWARD. Lots of external people could get access to information you don't want them to have. A member server or, as above, a caching only server is the best way to go for a forwarder.
Catadmin - MCSA

But anyway, if i want it and i still want to use the root zone...
i've got the problem that a new server tells me that i can'T configure forwarders because it's a root server... but it also says i can't configure root server ist is no rootserver?!?
I want to use the server to handle internal and external DNS. But there will also be a dial in so external people must also be able to use internal DNS.
Please help!

Remove the '.' root zone this is only essential if the server is authorative for the configured DNS name throughout the Internet, internal DNS is handled by the Forward Lookup zone, external by the cached lookups.

Chris.
Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back