Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where Do I get Microsoft Java VM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

turncom

Programmer
May 3, 2002
US
Quick question. Where do I get the Microsoft Java VM? It is not immediately obvious from their download site.

MS has discontinued it, you'll have to get it from sun now i guess. Unless you can get the MS one from other site. But if I was you I'd download the one from sun.

Yeah, I'm afraid you're right. I've looked everywhere I can think of at Microsoft. I'm clicking along thinking I am getting close, then the next hyperlink I click takes me back to the original page. Mmmmmmmmmmm

Here's my problem. We are trying to use Oracle's Discoverer product. It's a web application that lets you to make your own queries, etc. The web pages it serves up have applets on them. We all use MS Internet Explorer. I have the Sun plug-in. When I attempt to open the page, it just sits there and spins forever. If I turn the Sun plug-in OFF, and enable the MS JIT, it works. That leads me to think Oracle wrote the applets using VJ++. (!!!)

So I told everyone to turn off the Sun plug-in. Okay, so they did. Some could get in, but others got a "ClassNotFound" error...and it was some com.microsoft.somethingorother class. Which made me think they had an old or faulty istallation of the Miscrosoft VM. That's why I asked if anyone knew how to get the MS VM.

Now here is a kicker. Oracle gives you the option of coming into their web app using either IE (which I was using) or Netscape. So if you click on the hyperlink that says you are coming in as Netscape (remember I'm still using IE), it installs the Sun plug-in, and everything works just fine. That makes me think Oracle wrote an alternate version of these applets using JDeveloper and that work with the plug-in.

Is this complicated enough? Do I have to tell everyone to click on the Netscape hyperlink? Bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back