Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where do I begin 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sjnovo923

Technical User
Sep 17, 2001
US

Man, I don't know where to begin. First things first, let me tell you what I am running. I am running a Compaq deskpro with windows 98. The problem is as follows: In the middle of doing something the PC will just shut off and starts back up. Can anybody give me some insight on how to fix this? I appreciate you reading this and trying to give me an answer.

Sjnovo923

That sounds like a problem I had a couple years ago. It struck me as being an electrical problem. I replaced the surge protector, the power switch (it was an AT) then the power supply. While I was
replacing the power supply I plugged another computer into its place, and it started rebooting. Both were running Windows 95. I unplugged that computer to troubleshoot it and placed a machine running Netware 5. That machine had been running flawlessly for two+ years. It rebooted itself. The only thing they all had in common was the wall outlet.
I reached behind the computer desk and the plug almost fell into my hands. Try another outlet.

Don Swayser
swayser@optonline.net

In my experience random restarts are most often caused by a faulty power supply. It could be other things like bad ram or a bad motherboard but the power supply is most often the cause in my experience. It's hard to say exactly what your problem is though. Have your power supply checked out.

Faulty power supplies are worth looking into. Ensure the fan is blowing. Also, if you dont ming open the case and check the cpu fan - ensure that it is spinning when power is turned on. Over heating cpu's will also shut a machine down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back