Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where data is stored in Sharepoint Portal Server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ankur12

Technical User
Oct 19, 2005
US
I have installed a Sharepoint Portal Server with a SQL Server 8.0 and made one sharepoint Site using basic and default settings.
A few things which I am unable to find about the sharepoint Portal Server.

1. Where is the complete Data stored in the sharepoint. Is it stored in the databases it created in the SQL Server.

ShaprioF1_PROF
ShaprioF1_SERV
ShaprioF1_SITE
SPS01_Config_db

2. When I upload a word document or any sort of data from the sharepoint site, where is that stored.

3. I put a calendar on one of the webpages. lets say in the future I had to move the calendar to a different webpage, will I
be able to move it with the complete data, I checked out that the web part is not being shared among pages. some are shared though which
makes the move very easy.

These might be basic questions for anybody who know this product. I need to know the answers before I put the box in production.

Thanks in advance for your time.

everything is stored in the database including word docs. The only thing that are files on your C: drive are the install files like site definitions (the path is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\60).

3. dont know i dont use calendars.

Where specifically the data is stored in the database. When you upload a document, does it actually uploads a copy of the document or just put the URL in the database.

The question number 3 is irrespective of the web part, You can assume it to be document library or any other web part.

Thanks

2. The document repository is in YourSiteName_SITE.dbo.docs. The file image is in the content field.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'm not as think as you confused I am.
-----------
Flabbergasted (a.): Amazed at how much weight one has gained.
-----------
Oyster (n.): One who sprinkles their conversation with Yiddish expressions.

As philhege said the entire file is stored there (as a blob)

3) Webparts that are connected to the lists on a site can be used on any page that accept webpart within the site, so NOT top or subsites...

The connected webparts are parts like Documentlibrary webpart anouncment webpart... etc content webparts are not connected to lists... (custom ones usually are also not connected to lists.)

Also note that editing the database directly is not supported so it doesnt really matter in what table the docs are stored, and you will get no support from MS from that point one, if you want to make customazations (or read stuff) use the sharepoint object model..

Which of course invalidates the approach of 90% of the "Recycle Bin" apps out there.

Phil Hegedusich
Senior Programmer/Analyst
IIMAK
-----------
I'm not as think as you confused I am.
-----------
Flabbergasted (a.): Amazed at how much weight one has gained.
-----------
Oyster (n.): One who sprinkles their conversation with Yiddish expressions.

My only point of asking the question that where the "Data is stored" is that we have a tape backup system. I have built a portal in SPS and then 2 Subites in sharepoint Services.

I want the sites to be backed up automatically using the tape backup system and thats why I need to know that what needs to be backed and from which location.

For the time being until I can't figure that out, I will use the SPS backup utility but will the SPS backup utility also back up the Sharepoint Sites.

Thanks

My only point of asking the question that where the "Data is stored" is that we have a tape backup system. I have built a portal in SPS and then 2 Subites in sharepoint Services.

I want the sites to be backed up automatically using the tape backup system and thats why I need to know that what needs to be backed and from which location.

For the time being until I can't figure that out, I will use the SPS backup utility but will the SPS backup utility also back up the subsites created in Sharepoint Services Sites.

Thanks

You just have to backup the Content Databases from SQL, The Configuration DataBase from SQL. And if you have made customizations to the Site Definitions you will have to backup the Templates folder in the installation path.

When you are restoring the site just restore the DB's to sql Then install Sharepoint (make sure you have the same version as the one the Sites where previously running on (and re-add any customazations to the sharepoint install folder).) and point sharepoint to the config DB in the admin pages, from that moment on the sites should be running again..

Ok, I will try restoring the configuration and content database. Thanks for all your support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back