Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where clause in Access VBA with SQL server backend

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokeymonsc

Technical User
Jul 27, 2004
US
I have an access 2002 front end with an ODBC connection to a SQL server back end. I am trying to open my form using the following code:

Dim rs As DAO.Recordset
Dim QDef As QueryDef
Dim tmpID As Integer

If Not IsNull(Int(Me.EmpID.Value)) Then
tmpID = Me.txtEmpID.Value
Set QDef = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("", "select empid from dbo_payperiodcharges where empid = " & tmpID & " and payperiod between '10/01/2004' and '9/30/2005'")
Set rs = QDef.OpenRecordset
counter = rs.RecordCount
End If

I am having trouble with the dates between Access and T-SQL. In the above code I get a 'Type Mismatch' at the line "Set rs = QDef.OpenRecordset". If I use # to bracket the dates I get a 'Syntax Error'.

What I'm trying to do is to limit multiyear records to a single year. Hardcoding the dates is just the first step to setting up a parameter form, but I have to get the hardcoded dates to work first

try the following change to your SQL statement:

Between #10/01/2004# and #9/30/2005#

Kramerica

What area does it point to when you use #'s and get a Syntax Error?

*cLFlaVA
----------------------------
A polar bear walks into a bar and says, "Can I have a ... beer?"
The bartender asks, "What's with the big pause?

If I use Set QDef = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("", "select empid from dbo_payperiodcharges where empid = " & tmpID & " and payperiod between #10/01/2004# and #9/30/2005#'") I get Run Time Error 3075 "Syntax error in string in query error 'empid =10124 and payperiod between#10/01/04# and #09/30/04#".

If I substitute ' for # then the program will fail at the next line Set rs = QDef.OpenRecordset with a Run-Time Error 3464 "Data type mismatch in criteria expression.

ok, it seems like maybe your employee id's in your database aren't integer values.

try

Code:
Set QDef = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("", "select empid from dbo_payperiodcharges where empid = '" & tmpID & "' and  payperiod between #10/01/2004# and #9/30/2005#'")

*cLFlaVA

Appreciate your reply. Maybe I should have first said the original coding works:

If Not IsNull(Int(Me.EmpID.Value)) Then
tmpID = Me.txtEmpID.Value
Set QDef = CurrentDb.CreateQueryDef("", "select empid from dbo_payperiodcharges where empid = " & tmpID & "")
Set rs = QDef.OpenRecordset
counter = rs.RecordCount
End If

So I don't think that the problem is in the employee id fields. It's only when I try to add a DATE to the WHERE clause that I begin to run into trouble. I've checked the table on the SQL Server for 'payperiod' and it is a datetime field.

You have an extra single quote after your second date parameter.

*cLFlaVA

I can't believe that I look and look and looked and still missed the '. Thanks
blush.gif

Curiously I didn't get any errors in code when I ran it, but neither did exclude the dates prior to 10/01/04. I'm getting 2003 data and early 2004. As if the 2nd part of the WHERE clause wasn't working???????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back