Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I still download Backup Exec 8.6 version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nahuahc

Programmer
Mar 13, 2001
US
Hi

I tried out Backup Exec 9.0 but I am getting communications error repeatedly on doing a backup.

I wanted to download the trial version of Backup Exec version 8.6. I cannot seem to find it on veritas website.

Can anyone please give me a pointer to it?

thanks in advance. Please rpely soon if possible.

What is the "communications error" you are getting. I am very interested to know, I think I can help.

Thanks.

Thanks amak75 for the link. I now have 8.6 version downloaded.

Hi Qdog, unfortunately, i blew away the test server on which i was getting hte communications error, so i cannot cut-paste the error log: I had setup the media to backup to a disk folder on the shared disk of a clustered exchange setup.

I observed 2 things:

1. Like 8.x Backup Exec selection list displayed "Exchange Mailboxes" However this does not appear in the Backup Exec 9.0 in which it only displays M: drive. So how do you backup the information store and not the individual mailboxes

2. Secondly, simple backup of M: or the mailboxes under it was failing with "communications error" Sorry I dont have any mor details as i blew away that server. :(
but any insight you might have would be great as I have to resetup 9.0 sometime next week.

thanks

Ok. First, never backup the M: drive of an Exchange server. Don't need it anyway and MS recommends never backing M drive up. And here's what happens when you try to backup the M drive: Backup Exec resets the archive bit on the M drive and mapi clients can no longer access attachments.
As for BE 9.0, make sure you have the Remote Agent installed on the Exchange server if it is remote. One big new feature of BE 9.0 is simply how it works. The remote agent does all the work now where in the past the BE Job Engine service did all the work. The remote agent is also installed on the Backup Exec server by default, and when you do local backups of your media server, the Remote Agent is doing the actual backup. In a remote server situation, the remote agent backs up the data locally on the remote server, and sends the data to the media server then to tape. For mailboxes and the IS, make sure that 9.0 is serialized with the 9.0 serial and your agent serials from 8.6 or in eval mode.

Thanks Qdog. that was useful advice for a novice user like myself.i will update this thread as and when i deal with 9.0 again.

one other question in terms of installation:

1. -> is it recommended install the Backup Exec and the remote agent, both on the Exchange server itself?

2. -> or should the backupexec be installed on say the Active Directory server and the remote agent on the exchange server?

If a I follow the 1st option above, then thru which interface should I be backing up the information store of exchange server as Backup Exc only lists the drives ( including the M drive) in the selection list for a backup job.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back