Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I get.............

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhardwick

Technical User
Apr 6, 2005
US
I'm working on my CCNA and have a few pieces of equipment. I'd like to get the latest IOS for them if possable. Does anyone know where I can get the latest IOS for a:

2501 router
2505 router
2524 router and a 2916 switch

I've tried the Cisco technical downloads site but have had no luck, any help would be greatly appreciated for a newbie.

And for all the router virgins out there like myself, I came across a great book that hand holds and spoon feeds you usage information.

Go look at "Cisco TCP/IP Routing Professional Reference" Third edition by Chris Lewis. This book is saving my life.

Thanks...................Jim

You have to be a registered member with Cisco in order to download IOS updates.

- stephan

I have a CCO ID but I think I need a higher level of access to reach the IOS download page.

Sigh!!

There is a program out there called iosfinder or ioshunter or something like that. However, I saw a post, somewhere on this site I believe, that you can get a smartnet contract for a 2500 series for as little as 60 bucks. That's the recommended way to go - with a smartnet contract you can download all the ios you want and it's legal.

Smarnet for a 2501 is as follows:

CON-SNT-2501 SMARTNet 8x5xNBD for CISCO2501 N/A $289

This will entitle you to download ALL IOS versions from Cisco's web page

Thanks guys for the info. I hate to shell out more funds for this venture but it's looking like a necessary evil. I was hoping that Cisco would have made their software/fireware updates freely available, looks like greed has struck again.

Thanks again...........Jim

a program called IOS hunter is worth a look, you can legally download the IOS images, but not install them legaly!!, The free version allows IOS images created upto 2002 or for $15 you can have all IOS images.

Visit for free Cisco rack access.

Thanks for the tip on the IOS hunter. $15 dollars doesn't hurt my feelings and if it allows me to keep the IOS up to date................life is good

Thanks again.................Jim

IOS Hunter is made by a company called VitalTeck, . The registered copy of the software is $30 dollars but it found 180 images of the IOS I was looking for.

Small price for all that it did for me.

Thanks again for the tip!!

.............Jim

Thanks ReadRight for the link. I'm going to try and upgrade the IOS on my routers using IOS Hunter and the IOS' it finds. If I start running into problems, I'll go the CDW route and purchase their maintenance plan.

Thanks............Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back