Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can i get a free virus scanner and remover?

Status
Not open for further replies.

farley99

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
US
Where can i get a free virus scanner and remover?

You can get free scanner/removers from most antivirus websites such as macafee, kaspersky.com etc. They will scan and remove a few select viruses but will not protect your computer. You can also get free trials from most of these sites aswell. Panda antivirus used to do a free av program for linux not sure if they do one for windows.

Hope this helps

:eek:)

I second the recommendation for AVG 6 from - works great, updates regularly, does scheduled scans, the whole nine yards!

--Roc
"Whatever one man can dream, another can accomplish" - Jules Verne

Another alternative if you are a home user and want something to back up AVG is the DOS version of f-prot from - this is great as it can be run from a DOS bootdisk.

On other info not had problems downloading AVG installer, but have had it for ages and just ran updates as needed. I have this archived on CD now together with my serial no.

John

Download is a pain, but eventually you'll get it ;-)

HTH
TonHu

I used and liked AVG for some time; however, I stopped using it after Panda AV found several viruses on machines that I thought were protected.

qinetiq.com (not sure of spelling) had a good AV product - government approved!

That is funny longrun, as I and several friends had the exact OPPOSITE situation. Even the very latest and updated Panda was either not catching a virus AVG did find, and on several occasions ran 2 days behind on updates.
In the Antivirus domain, that is unacceptable.
Same goes for Norton BTW, that is a total disaster.

farley: Moral as Tonhu posted, be patient, at certain times the grisoft server is heavely accessed and you can get time-outs.

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back