Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I find FONT statistics? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonHare

Technical User
Aug 25, 2002
US
Dear Web-designers,
Is there some kind of statistical data on the prevalence of font types? Is there a way to determine what is common on most machines? I would like to avoid the embarrasment of making a lovely page with some fancy CSS work, only to realize that most viewer are just going to see it in generic "sans-serif".

Your advice will be most appreciated.

Yrs,
The MoonHare The Moonhare

HI,

The fonts that I can think of that have always been on the computers I have used since I first started using computers are: Times, Times New Roman (Macintosh), Verdana, and Arial.

Hope this helps!
greenjumpy.gif
NATE

The link to the microsoft was really very useful..... but now my second question.... what do you think of this WEFT as shown in that website??? Anyone tried it? fought with it? love it? hate it????

Could it be a way to use arnoldboed with an art noveau theme???

Thanks,
The Moonhare The Moonhare

Haven't tried it yet, but it looks interesting. Of course, it will add to the download time of a page (although some of the samples are pretty quick), and it doesn't work in all browsers. Hmmmm... must play around with it over the holidays and see what it's like!

Personally I think it's rarely worth the trouble embedding fonts.
As far as I know the .eot you will create with WEFT is only compatible with IE4+ which means you should also create a .pfr format font (
So you have downloaded and installed 2 programs, created 2 format files, NOW get them to work! :) :)

<link rel = &quot;fontdef&quot; src=&quot;fonts/cool-font.pfr&quot;>
<STYLE TYPE=&quot;text/css&quot;>
<--!
@font-face {
src:url(fonts/cool-font.eot);
}
-->
</STYLE>

::

Dear Cian,
That's exactly what I learned last night on the webmonkey tutorial, to do it right you really need to write a javascript browser-adapting page. Can be done, but no one, short of those guys writing demos on the microsoft page, seems to want to make the effort. Maybe there are some lovely sites out there that will inspire me to make the effort.

With WEFT you come up to the whole issue of whether or not you can use a particular font because of copyright issues. I haven't sorted that out yet, but it seems to be the snag in the WEFT technology -- the reason WEFT remains forever in beta-testing.

PFR is a way not to be sending out copies of copyrighted material, but, personally, if I didn't know why bitstream was wanting to do something on a webpage, I wouldn't let it mess with my system. Suspicious people like myself (and we are numerous) on PC-based IE aren't going to see the .pfr fonts.

Ah, yes, maybe another solution will emerge.
Yrs,
The MoonHare The Moonhare

Hi,

You could also use SSI to say when and which type of font to use. But this isn't really worth the while seeing as how it doesn't work on all major browsers. The key to a success and professional looking site lies with it's continuity, so if for some browsers you can't do it then you are best not doing it at all.

Hope this helps!
greenjumpy.gif
NATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back