Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I find a C Compiler for Solaris 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warmpapi

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2000
US
Where can I find a C Compiler for Solaris 7? I need to install an ssh client on a solaris 7 server. It currently states I need a working cc compiler. I have a gcc (not working either, because I need a cc compiler) Can anyone please assist. Thanks.

You can compile ssh with gcc. You just need to do something like...

# CC=gcc configure other-options-go-here
# make
# make install

Also check your path and such.

You can download gcc as a package file or source code from
I used the package file to load and compile gcc. It saved me some time, or at least I think it did.

I would also look at the readme file before you try to compile ssh. Some times there is a comand line switch that you can use to specify the cc compiler.

cc=gcc

I have also renamed the cc binary to cc.old and created a link from gcc to cc (If all else fails)

-Danny

Sorry to have to open this thread again but what I have read so far in different threads is confusing. I have downloaded the gcc-2.95.3 and I am trying to configure but I'm getting the typical messages.
./configure: cc: not found
*** The command 'cc -o conftest -g conftest.c' failed.
*** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
Root path is the typical /usr/bin.

Question is what am I doing wrong because it is driving me nuts.

Were you able to compile gcc with out any errors ?

If gcc compiled with out eror did you create a sim-link between the CC and the GCC compilers.

danny@snoboarder.net

-Danny
techie@snoboarder.net

Hi Danny,

I haven't created a sm-link yet because I keep on getting the error when I typed in "./configure." Just to get it straight, when you refer to complile are you talking about after I used qzip to uncompress the file and after I used tar xvf on the extract the files. When I used each command "gzip -d" and then "tar -xvf" there was no errors involved until I typed ..srclocation/configure.

Life in UNIX is better now. At on piont in the process I forgot to use pkgadd -d. (filename) after decompressing the file and going straight to running the configure.Thanks for not bittling me into the ground by forgetting such a basic step.

Best Regards to all

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back