Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I download Remote Agent for Backup Exec 8.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 24, 2006
US
I need the Remote Agent for Backup Exec 8.0 for Windows Servers to backup Windows 2000 workstations.

I have looked all over the Symantec website to no avail.

Backup Exec is installed on a Windows 2000 server, but the installation CD is long gone. Is this a file that would be "generally available" since we've got backup Exec installed?

Not available since its been End of Life about 5 years ago.

Probably have to look on ebay see if someone has the media for sale. Is it 8.6 or 8.0?

8.0. Thanks for the reply. Too bad it doesn't appear that it can be downloaded from Symantec.

It cant not be downloaded its been out of support and end of life for 5 years. No longer supported.

I think I can help out if you provide me with email to send you some information.

CathideRay Check you email. You will need to install the agent manually.

steveot,

Thank you for those programs... I have been working with them over the past several days, but have not been able to get the job completed.

A couple of simple questions for you:

1. When I do the installation (on the local machine), I don't see ANY evidence that the program has been installed... no progress bar as it's being installed, no Next, Next, Finish, no programs listed in Add/Remove Programs, no new services running, no nothing... I just click on Setup and that's it... no errors, but no success.

When I run the Backup Exec from the server, and try to back up one of the remote machines, it provides the warning about needing the rempote agent, but then if I proceed, it comes back with a Failed status, yet the files I chose to backup appear to be on the log.

Net, net, net: I'm not sure if the Remote Agent is even installed, much less actually working.

Can you provide me with a little help to determine if the Remote Agent is even installed?

(I am logged on as an administrator...)

Thank you again for your generous help...

Sorry, I neglected to mention the exact message I get when trying to do a backup of a remote machine:

"Unable to initialize Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000.

You should have a 'backup exec remote agent for Windows NT/2000' service if you look under services. If the Server is Windows NT4, you will need to do a reboot of the server before you will be able to see the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back