Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where can I buy 'legitimate' Visual FoxPro 9 licenses 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this seems a bit fishy. I see sells of ISO downloads on sites selling used software and talking of legitimate resales of volume licenses. Local laws may override US law in several countries about the legitimacy to disallow resales, so this at least is a grey zone. Where it is legal you indeed get a download or self-burnt CD and the only sign of the Genuity will be a product key never used before, which you can hardly verify.

On occasions of asking about buying VFP Pavel Celba always said you can buy VFP via MOLP (MS Open Licensing Program) which requires buying 5 product licenses, of course not 5 times VFP9, but any 5 licenses of MS products. So you either combine 1 VFP9 license with 4 times the cheapest product you find or you go for something else you need anyway. If you don't find VFP9 via its product code 340-01244, then your only other chance seems an MSDN subscription.

In regard of subscriptions you can download a list of available "products by benefit level" (subscription type) here:

Scroll down and use the go.microsoft.com/linkid=... link, it'll cause the download of an XLSX spreadsheet of available products with several types of MSDN subscriptions.
This is just to show the download link there is coming from MS and a chance this might work longer, as if I posted it here directly, as the blog article may get updated but this post could not be updated. And you know how high chances are, an MS link gets broken.

Bye, Olaf.

Legally you can't buy VFP anymore. There are only two options at this moment, namely MSDN and Microsoft BizSpark. The latter is free if your company fulfills the requirements.

Thank you for the quick replies! I did find this after reading your posts:

Visual FoxPro 7, 8, 9 is available for following MSDN subscription levels:

VS Pro with MSDN Pro (VL); VS Pro with MSDN Premium (Empower); Developer AA; VS Pro with MSDN (Retail); MSDN Enterprise; MSDN Universal (Retail); VSTS Team Suite (VL); VSTS Architecture (VL); VS Premium with MSDN (MPN); VSTS Test (VL); VS Pro with MSDN Premium (MPN); MSDN Universal (VL); VSTS Database (VL); VS Pro with MSDN Premium (Retail); VSTS Test (Retail); VSTS Development (Retail); VSTS Architecture (Retail); VSTS Team Suite (Retail); VSTS Database (Retail); BizSpark Admin; BizSpark; VS Pro with MSDN Embedded (Retail); VS Pro with MSDN Embedded (VL); VS Ultimate with MSDN (VL); VS Premium with MSDN (VL); VS Pro with MSDN (VL); VS Premium with MSDN (Retail); VS Ultimate with MSDN (Retail); VS Ultimate with MSDN (MPN); VS Ultimate with MSDN (NFR FTE);

From this link:

Regards,

Rob

Well, this post is from 2011. The Excel list is dated May 2017.

The product benefit list is just comparing 5 types of subscriptions of which two include VFP9. There should be more types, but I have a hard time figuring out to get this in a more general format. In the end, several things like BizSpark just are programs that give you the benefit of an MSDN Enterprise or Professional subscription and in turn, VFP is in it, so it may boil down to these 2 options anyway, of which the Professional subscription, of course, is cheaper. But surely it doesn't tell some ways to get at such subscriptions within programs like BizSpark and Action Pack, which also is still an option.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back