Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where are the sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guaicaipuro

Technical User
Sep 22, 2001
PT
Hi
Forget my English, I hope I can explain my problem. Here we go:
I have a PC with WXP SP1 Pro, with all possible updates, norton antivirus also updated and no problems with sound. One day a few sounds are lost, examples: Start and end windows sounds, messenger sounds.
But if we go to control panel we see that those file sounds are active and present at hard disk.
I try to look at the register but with no success.
Can somebody explain how to solve this problem?

Note: I already try two sound boards.

Thanks in advance.

Are you just missing some sounds, or is there absolutely no sound comming from your speakers?

Stephen [infinity]
"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life:
no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6 KJV

Hi kjv1611
Only some sounds! For what i see until now, the start and end sound for XP, the new email notification and the messenger sounds.

Nothing especial, but the question is WHY? Dont you think that is interesting?

Cheers

Yes. It would sound to me as if some of the settings were changed purposefully or on accident, and/or some files may have been deleted. If it were just Office sounds, you could check for those by opening any office app, easiest to find seems to be word, and go to tools-options-general tab- and make sure "Provide feedback with sound" is checked. For Windows, you would need to go into audio settings, and open the section for editing sounds. Also, if you have installed a spyware program outside of Ad-Aware, then there is a possibility the incorrect file got removed (I've seen it myself). Or, if you have any "tweaking" program installed, it could be that it is interfering with some of the settings.. Just a couple thoughts..

Stephen [infinity]

Hi again

the files are there!
the audio settings are fine!
no tweaking or spyware program installed!

What a mystery.

Have you checked in "File Associations"? I fought a sound problem for days (new card, everything), and found that the "midi" files had their associations changed by an audio program. Go to C:\windows\media, and try different media types one by one (wav - .midi - .rmi), and see if it is just a certain type of file.

Hi

I check in "File Associations" like you purpose micker377, everything it's alright.
What I can't hear are a few sounds associated with Windows events, like start, shutdown, messenger alerts,....

The sounds associated with other programs are fine.

I think we have here a nice problem to solve.

System events are .wav files. Did you check to see (in Media) to see if All .wav files are inactive?

Hi micker377

I just check the .wav files. For my surprise all Windows events sounds are inactive (they all .wav files).
I can hear sounds fo microsoft office 2003 events (also .wav) and for others applications.
Seems to be only the .wav files associated with windows XP Pro events.

I too am having this problem. However, my problem is slightly different; I have 2 different profiles set up on my computer; all sound events work fine in one profile but they don't work in the other. As with Guaicaipuro, it seems to be mainly Windows and Microsoft Office events that don't work. When I locate the the file in Windows Explorer and play, for example, the Windows XP Startup wav file, it plays fine. However, when starting the machine for the one profile it doesn't. Other events seem to be fine, IE, Yahoo, etc all seem to work. It is just Window and Office events that don't; and again, only the one profile.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Brownie

It sounds like the exact same problem. Check to see if all your Windows .wav files are disabled in the "Sounds" portion of Control panel. There is a tab there for setting windows sounds, that may be your problem. For office, open Word, go to tools->options->general tab, and make sure the option, "Provide Feedback with sound" is checked. Also, try downloading the new sounds Microsoft has at "office on the web" from your help menu in any office app. The sound affects are a little more enhanced. That may not fix your problem, but would at least give better sounds (the last step mentioned here).

Stephen [infinity]

Well, I installed that sounds package and Word now has all of these sounds, however, Outlook still has nothing, nor do Window events. I checked the Sounds in the Control Panel and the events are set accordingly, ie Windows Startup is supposed to play an the classic Windows XP Startup .wav file, receiving email I should hear the Windows XP Notify sound. To test it, I click the play button in the Sounds dialog box and it plays fine. However, when Windows starts up, nothing, when I receive an email nothing but the beep you get when you don't have a sound card.

Thanks,
- Brownie

The sounds are all enable in the "Sounds" portion of Control Panel.
Like brownie124 I also test it and all is fine.

I dont have the some problem of brownie124 with Office sounds.

To add more clues (or confusion) the problem resides within Outlook Express as well -- none of the sounds work there in the one profile but they do in my other profile.

Thanks,
- Brownie124

Have either of you checked with Microsoft support? I would think that it would be something worth asking about, especially if tried all other suggestions here. Could it be a hardware compatibiilty problem? Maybe try searching google for issues relating to your particular mobos and/or sound cards..

Stephen [infinity]

Ok ppl I have the solution!

It seems that some sounds are controlled by a program that I dont identify, but here is a solution:

First:
Start/Run/Regedit

Second:
Navigate to this key: HKEY_USERS. If it doesn't have a Data entry in the right pane that reads: (value not set), delete it. Do the same with HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21 keys.

Finally restart and I think that the probvlem it's gone. It works for me!

Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back