Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where are the macros?

Status
Not open for further replies.

simoncpage

Programmer
Apr 4, 2002
GB
Hi all, bit of a problem. I have a spreadsheet that I am trying to work out. When opening it asks if I want to enable macros. But when I look in the VBA editor (no password) there are no modules or sheet macros. I have checked to see if there are any macro4 sheets and there doesnt seem to be.

Basically the sheet has a number of checkboxes which are link someway to a macro but where is this macro?

Any help would be great thanks

Simon

Hi Simon
Have you checked under Tools>macros?

;-) If a man says something and there are no women there to hear him, is he still wrong?

Yeah theres nothing showing. But as soon as I open the sheet it ask whether to enable macros or not? Could I send you the sheet?

Simon

It's probably because you have yoru macro security set to medium.

If you right click on the check boxes, is ther an option to view code ???
Failing that, is there an "execute" button anywhere ???

Could also be (possibly) that the macro being called was stored in the previous users "PERSONAL.xls" ??? Rgds
~Geoff~

FYI...

In the Visual Basic Editor, programmers can protect macros so they can't be viewed or changed by users by using the Protection tab of the Project Properties dialog box in the Visual Basic Editor (Project Properties command, Tools menu).

So if they are protected, they can't be seen in the menu you are referring to but if you open the Visual Basic Editor you can see the list of them but without the password you won't be able to open them. *Remember.......
If you don't use your head,
your going to have to use your feet.

I was just saying it asks me to enable to prove the sheet does actually contain macros.

As soon as I click view code it writes the usually:

----------------------------
Private Sub CheckBox2_Click()

End Sub
----------------------------

to the corresponding blank macro sheet.

>Could also be (possibly) that the macro being
>called was stored in the previous users "PERSONAL.xls" ???

how can the macro still work if it is reading a macro from a different workbook. I have copied the workbook on its own on to my laptop and the macros work fine.......but where are they????

If I can send it to anyone I would appreciate this - if you dont want to write your email just email me simoncpage@hotmail.com as I am really baffled and thats not like me!

Thanks

Simon

I know all this meintsi, (I wrote all this in my first message) - there are no modules/sheet macros showing in the sheet and the vba for the sheet is not protected.

Thanks anyway

Simon

Send me the file Simon
Goeff.Barraclough@Punchpubs.co.uk
I'll have a look - I've only got excel 97 tho so if it's in a later version, I ain't gonna be able to open it
Didn't think the Personal.xls would be the case but you didn't say whether the macros were working or not originally..... Rgds
~Geoff~

how? ----------------------------------------
There are 2 types of computer, the prototype and the obsolete!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back