Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where are my contacts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ickthoose

Vendor
Jan 20, 2003
US
Using Outlook 2k. When I compose and new email and press the To: button. The address list that comes up does not have my all my Contacts in it. I can go to contacts and find it and email from there just fine. When I hit the To: button, I only have "contacts" as a choice. If I right click on my contacts folder and look at properties, oulook address book, show this folder is check and contacts is in the name but they are grayed out and I cannot change anything.

Ickthoose,

It sounds like some of your contacts are missing a File As entry. Populate this field and you should be sorted!

Hope this helps,

Charlotte

If not LeCras's suggestion, my guess would be a corrupted outlook profile.

Charlotte,

Can you expand on the "missing a file as entry." Can't seem to find it.

Thanks

Charlotte is referring to:

In the contacts folder, double click on one of the entries that is missing from the e-mail To: list. On the general tab, below the Company name, there is a "File as:" field. I'm not sure that there's any way this can be blank (missing) though.

Got it, it turned out to be a corrupted profile.

Thanks people

Ickthoose,
What did you do to correct the "Corrupted Profile"?

Anyone
What corrupts a contact list?
I have the same problem with the contacts option greyed out.
Did you have to rekey all your contacts?
Win2K, office 2002
Thanks

A corrupt profile is just the Outlook profile. This does not mean you would have to rekey the contact information. Just means you have to rebuild the Outlook profile.

START - SETTINGS - CONTROL PANEL - MAIL
SHOW PROFILE
If you click on PROPERTIES you will see the contents of the profile. But it is the profile itself that was deleted and recreated is what is previously mentioned.

joegz
"Sometimes you just need to find out what it's not first to figure out what it is."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back