Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Where are all these Temp files coming from within C:\Winnt???

Status
Not open for further replies.

sekermestrovich

IS-IT--Management
Sep 30, 2002
US
i've noticed recently my Windows NT 4.0 server will create about 200 tmp files nightly around 3am. I don't know why they are being created?? This machine is responsible for housing users local drives and also used as the backup server. The files are in order as listed here: Tmp2da1, tmp2da2, tmp2da3, tmp2da4, tmp2da5, tmp2da6, tmp2da7, tmp2da7, tmp2daa, tmp2dab, tmp2dac, tmp2dad, tmp2dae, tmp2daf, tmp2db1...

What is causing this? I can't find anything in the event view that helps.

What time does your backup run? It could be creating tmp files as the backup is running. If the backup isn't running at 3am I would definitly run a virus check on the system. Many virus will try to fill a drive with temp files or garbage data to crash the drive.

The backup runs at 10pm the night before. Norton is scheduled to run a daily scan at 6am, this is when all the tmp files are being created. I spoke with Norton and we checked to make sure there wasn't any corrupt files, which there weren't, however after viewing Norton's online tech help, they are aware of the problem but have no solution at this time.

I recently unintalled/reinstalled Norton back on the server and will check today for the status.

is there something in Events around that time ?
Is there something scheduled by users ?

Nothing in events, no users are here at that time, but also nothing scheduled by them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back