Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When were the M3900 phones first released? 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippowell9

Technical User
Aug 18, 2005
US
I got my first Nortel switch in 2001, and we bought the 3900 series telephones in various flavors. Can anyone tell me what year these were first released? Google isn't coughing up that information. I found this: "The Meridian M3904 digital telephone was first introduced and supported on X11 Release 24.24/24.25

Awesome, thanks! Your Googling skills must be superior to mine. ;)

Sounds right to me too. When we got ours in 2001 they were a pretty new model. They still more or less work great.

I've had quite a few where the displays start getting flaky, not nearly as reliable as the M2616 - but folks like the style better. I'm trying to replace all the M2616 with M3904's as needed, and replace all the M2006/2008's with the the displaced M2616's....living working dinosaurs....kinda like the switch that was installed in '93!

Yes a whole lot better than their first attempt with the M3000 phone. If they could have gotten it to function it would have been great I think it even had a touch screen. Anyone remember the M3000?

But...but...30n30w, didn't anyone tell you that your older equipment is obsolete, and that you don't have a job anymore? Doesn't that surely happen if we fall 90 days behind current releases?

Yes...Exactly! And I keep telling 'em to show me a positive ROI and I would be happy to make it happen.

(After our entire network gets a much needed revamp prior to attempting to throw VoIP in the mix...)

M3000_yrvn0y.jpg

I remember when the M3900 sets came out in 1999 and Purdue started installing them instead of M2000 series sets. They looked very futuristic at the time.

I found this product brief from 1999 and it lists all of the releases of the phone, looks as though they came out in June 1999.

I also found this sales brochure introducing the phones with a copyright date of 1999.

I have the M2000 and M3900 sets running alongside T7000 and M7000 sets on my E-MetroTel UCx and I love being able to use every Nortel phone made, both PBX and Key on the same switch.

What always baffles me is the different sound quality between different models of Meridian sets. I've tested them all out on my SNOM PA1 paging system, which is amazingly clear, and an M2616 will sound as clear as the M3904, while a M2008HF sounds tinny with all treble and no bass, and T7000 set has a more digitzed voice than the M7000 series. Overall though, the M3900 sets have the best sound quality of any of the digital sets.

Joseph Sus Jr. Nortel Enthusiast

30n30w nice shot of the M3000, man if only they could have made it work right.

I've been trying to convince the E-MetroTel guys to support the M3000 as well as the M2317 sets.....we will see in time! The M2317s were pretty slick as well with soft keys well before other PBX's employed soft keys.

The 3900 series was announce at the ISLUA/INNMUG conference in '99.

I remember the standing ovation the Nortel guys got when they said the new sets wouldn't need to use the desi strips/keys any more. :)

JW

I remember labeling the old 2000 sets for hours and hours for a big cut. I think our labor quotes cut in half when the 3900 phones came out.

I loved the M2000 button caps....reminded me of Legos, especially the little Red RLS one....oh and don't forget the Yellow Mute button on the M5316 sets!....lol...but a pain to label nevertheless. Norstar was a bit easier because many caps were already pre printed.....never understood why they didn't offer the same amount of preprinted buttons on the M2000 sets....There were a few available for Speed Call, Transfer, Park, etc....but never all of the features the system offered.

Interesting note, does anyone remember when the M2000 sets were first introduced, all of the keycap fonts were all caps such as RLS, HOLD, PROGRAM......

then about 1995, they caps changed the Red RLS button to standard helvetica font with upper and lower case, but the other grey pre printed keys were a much bigger lower and upper case font? Am I crazy or does anyone else remember this?

Or you could get all blank keys and then try to cleanly rip out all the labels off the DESI sheet?

What a pain....the self labeling buttons are much better.

They should have introduced these self labeling buttons on Norstar, the Plastic covers on the T Series sets are a nightmare....I can't tell you how many retailers and restaurants I've been to where the labels have fallen off, and people have magic markered the correct labels back on.....bad move, unless you double stick taped the labels to the phone.

Ahhhhh Nortel memories, I will stop.

We have some 3900 sets with the display starting to fail. The numbers ands such aren't complete. We put them out in the sunlight for a couple hours, and they started to work again. Not all but majority in case anyone comes across this issue.

Interesting.....sunlight, which area of the world? Some places sunlight might melt the phone. Wow....has the problem come back on those phones that were in the sunlight?

Washington state where it usually somewhat mild. Although mid 90's right now. They continue to work though. What was strange is that they were in storage for quite a while and when we pulled them out is when we noticed the display issue. Placed them in direct sunlight and they worked. It is strange.

The sun does get hot there, a best friend of mine lives in Snoqualmie....ironically has the E-MetroTel UCx in his house with every Nortel phone imaginable, lol. I remember visiting him last summer and how sunburn I got from that Washington sun. It's really not that rainy there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back