Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When trying to use brand(ADM) command, I do not have -t or -u options 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2003
US
How do I check how many licenses I have in use if I have no -t or -u options? Is there a patch to give me this functionality, if so what is it/where do I find it.

185# uname -a
SCO_SV rsi 3.2 5.0.5 i386

186# brand
Usage: brand [-ghnqsILQR] [-b prd bundlist] [-a LicenseData] [ LicenseNum Licens
eCode ] [file...]

uptime will tell you how many users are logged in
uname -X will tell you how many users you are licensed for.

Are the number of current users the same as licenses consumed? In other words, if user joe is logged in 10 times, does he use 10 licenses, or just one?

yes and no. and it gets fuzzier than that.
It was supposed to be a license was consumed per user per display device, but experience has shown that current users = licenses consumed. But I have seem 12 or 13 users on a 10 user system if a user was logged on multiple times on the console devices (tty1-tty10). It would be nice but unrealistic if user joe with 10 sessions only used 1 license. In the systems we sell every user logs in under 1 user id in unix and then logs in with an employee id in our application. This would reduce the cost to our customers but would defeat the sco licensing model. On top of it all user root can log in on the console sometimes after all licenses have been consumed.

Thank you for your insight. If you ever need any HPUX or Solaris info, I am much better versed in these.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back