Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When to use SSL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddraig

MIS
Jul 16, 2004
US
Howdy,

I've been tasked with getting SSL setup on our website. It is all set to go but I'm not sure about how best to implement it. They want to use a shotgun approach and just SSL a few of the sites they think should be secure. I am not exactly sure if this is the best option or not. I was wondering if anyone had any information or good weblinks on SSL Useage methods and things like that.

Thanks,
Owen

-

Not quite what I had in mind was hoping for some articles or white papers to describe or discuss what types of pages you secure. Best practices type of thing, is it good to secure pages such as informational, or transactional type of thing.

Right now my organization has me encrypting pages that are only informational. I don't think it is a good practice to do that but I need something to backup my argument.

-

I found the following:
Additional White Papers:
Otherwise verisign.com is a good place to obtain additional information.
If you don't find what your looking for post a message on the msdn site which is a great reasource for getting input from devolopers. I'm afraid I've exhausted my reasearch but would add that I don't think additional security measures in relationship to company content is always a good thing, relative to bandwidth you'll have to build your own case.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I've been tackling this most of the day and its mentally taxing me as what to do. I'm pretty much the new guy in the office started about a month or so ago and some of the things are just a bit goofy to me. As you see if you read my other post :)

Thanks again.
Owen

-

Practically, orgs usually will encrypt traffic that contains sensitive information. If the data has no potential to be exploited for use of one's monetary gain or has information that could help someone gain access to your systems, then I don't see any argument for encrypting the traffic.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

(I do what I can with what I know)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back