Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When moving apps, Always use the "Package and Deployment Wizard". 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Nunina, that answers my reasons for dead end searching MS site. I will now try and find it on the machine. Thanks for the remark on overwriting. I didi a search on this site for Visual Studio Installer, using the whole expression, and came up with a posting with similar warning. Thanks again. Hope GZook sees this post, because he asked if it was on the VB Disks.

Sorry guys - it's MS doing their usual 'We don't really do VB6 any more'!

Try this:

'People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.'

Zor,

The VSI is located in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\Common\Tools\VSInst\Setup\1033

Please let me know if you found it.

Regards,

Nunina

Thanks Nunina, and Johnwm. I will check it out tommorow to see if it's on my drive, otherwise John has located the direct link for downloading if I don't have it. I only hope it's more effective at installing on NT Server. Last time I got nowhere as it kept saying several files/dll's were in use and I could not close them as they were in use when all other applications were closed down. Someone a while ago said I needed an installer that would force a reboot, and put the files in on bootup. Fun life isn't it.

I've never tried Visual Studio Installer. Does it automatically include all for the .ocx's and .dll's that your app is dependant on like PDW?

I have a favorite setup packager, but, first I'll run PDW to create the setup.lst. Then I'll use that list in the other packager where I have more control over the other aspects of the setup like visuals and user options at the time of setup. This has worked well for me but I'm willing to try Visual Studio Installer. Anything to make life simpler.

Thanks

ClickHere... Yes, You'll find it MUCH more capable of handling your ocx's and dll's. But I've noticed some minor issues. You might not ever escape the fact that there's usually some tweeking to do. :(

But it IS leaps and bounds better than PDW (IMHO... WINHTS which I never hesitate to share)

[fish] No Dolphins were harmed in the posting of this message... Dolphin Friendly Tuna!

TheTuna,

Thanks for the response. I'll give it a try.

WOW, I leave last night at 5:00 PM EST, come in this morning at 8:30 AM EST and there are 9 new notifications of posts to this thread in my e-mail. I thought, Boy, someone's been busy! lol

This is all great stuff.

I'll look on the VS CDRoms, My hard drive, and Johnmw's new link!

Thanks loads! [2thumbsup][2thumbsup][2thumbsup][2thumbsup][2thumbsup] That's TEN thumbs up!!!

WOW - great discussion

I have had the pleasure? of using the PDW and Installshield in most of my projects. I by far prefer Installshield when my employer would spring for the expense. I have had verrrry bad experiences with the PDW and had heard of the Visual Studio Installer and until now had not tried it.

Thanks for the great tip - I was able to create an install pkg in a matter of minutes and it actually worked!! I love the merge module capability since I am use to working with them thru Installshield.

I also found this great site for install help and reference... check it out....

Some of their links are non-functional but it has been a great help

Don

Just some FYI: Installation of VS Installer requires that Visual Studio Service Pack 3 or later be installed on the target computer.

V S Service Pack 5 is available at the MS Download Center.
Go to the bottom of the form and selecting "Visual Studio" as the Product/Technology. Then enter "Service Pack" as the Keyword. Go takes you to a link for downloading VS Service Pack 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back