Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

when modem is installed, win xp will not shut down.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

user3657

Technical User
Dec 12, 2006
US
can anyone help, im trying to fix this damn pc for my cousin and its alot of headaces!!!! i trouble shooted a bad motherboard, and replaced that and the cpu. that is why she brought it to me in the first place.

now i find a strange issue, when ever i have the pci modem installed, the computer will not shut down. instead, it goes through normal shut down, then goes blank, then it restarts. this issue is only present if the modem is installed. i even reinstalled xp 2 times just in case, still nothing.

there is nothing in the bios i see....that can be causing this. no reboot on modem thingy, etc.

anyone have any ideas???

One make sure the bios does not have wake on modem enabled. If so disable. Second off see if there is a new bios version available. If so flash the bios just be careful when you do. Bad bios flash will leave you with a big paperweight.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Also worth checking the correct drivers are loaded for the modem.

Any errors showing in Event Viewer?

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Check the Event Logs for errors occurring at time of shutdown. By default XP is set to restart on error which includes any errors detected during shutdown. Disabling this restart may be helpful in diagnosis of the problem by allowing an error screen (aka BSOD) containing the error event to be read. Right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced Tab, Startup and Recovery section Settings button, uncheck Automatcally restart in the System Failure section.

hey guys ive tried all of these things, nothing in event log. unchecked auto restart, no bsod. and no reboot on modem in bios.

Is the modem really required? if not remove it. I presume it is a dial up modem. Have you checked for any IRQ conflicts? Tried moving it to another PCI slot?

yes my cousin needs the modem...no irq conflicts either.

1. Does the modem actually work and allow connection to the Internet in this configuration?

2. What COM port number is allocated to the modem?

3. Are you installing modem manufacturer's drivers, or replying on XP's native drivers?

4. Does the machine perform the automatic reboot if you start it in Safe Mode, and then close down?

You could try disabling the motherboard's on-board serial port(s) in the BIOS.

In the BIOS, if resources are being automatically assigned to PCI slots, try changing this to maunally allocating an IRQ for the slot containing the modem.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back