Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When is it required to use the Workgroup Administrator in MS Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoBetter

Technical User
Mar 19, 2007
US
I setup a database with a login screen (user name/pw) and will place it on the network. If I wanted all of the users to share/update the information contained within the database would I still need to use the MS Access Workgroup Administrator to join each of the employees that will use the database?

If yes, can a macro or SQL statement be added to automatically join them when they log in?

Going to a book store to purchase a book to get what you're looking for... Hours of searching...

Researching pages throughout that book just to get the simple answer you're looking for, but still coming up with nothing... Wasted hours...

Asking a question on Tek-Tips and being provided with the correct step-by-step answers... PRICELESS

You didn't mention anything about the version of Access you are using or mention "User Level Security" (ULS).

The workgroup administrator is only needed with User Level Security. The Access 2007 and later file formats don't support ULS.

Joan Wild has some decent resources on her Access Security web page.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I created the db in MS Access 2003.

I didn't set "User Level Security".

I created a log in screen that requires users to login with username and pw...

can each user (apprx 30) use the same db - review/update the information?

Going to a book store to purchase a book to get what you're looking for... Hours of searching...

Researching pages throughout that book just to get the simple answer you're looking for, but still coming up with nothing... Wasted hours...

Asking a question on Tek-Tips and being provided with the correct step-by-step answers... PRICELESS

A properly designed application can support apprx 30 users. Your application should be split into front and back-end MDB files. Ideally each user should have their own copy of the front-end MDB (or MDE). Typically tables are normalized which limits the chance of more than a single user attempting to update the same record.

Keep in mind we have no idea how you set up any of your home-grown security stuff.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

The security is set b/c I created a table with usernames and pw...

I have an SQL to verify the username and pw when the employee logs in (login form). When the two are verified, the db opens up. I thought that was the easiest way to have employees log in without going to each local station and using the Workgroup Administrator.

Each employee does; however, have a copy of MS Access installed on their local machines and they each can get to the drive the db is installed on.

I didn't want any unauthorized users to view the information in the db since it is password protected through user login rather than setting a db password.

I like your suggestion for spliting the db. I will do that as well. You deserve kodos for that suggestion.

One more thing, is there a way to identify what users are currently logged in when the employee logs in?

You deserve applause for that...

Thanks Hook'D

I selected the Hook'D on Access and saw you had useful information provided there as well...

You are a gift to Tek-Tips...

Thanks for the codes

I created the module; however, since this is the first time that I am applying this code, hereinafter, where do I place the code to execute it?

Please assist on this last leg of the process.

Thanks

I assume you created a new module and pasted the function into it. Make sure the name of the module is not the name of any function. Maybe save as "modSystemAPIs" or "modLoginAPI".

You can then use the function almost any place you would use any other function. You can set the function as the default value of a text box or as the criteria in a query or use it in code.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

IT WORKED!!!

Thanks for your patience and assistance...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back