Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When is a website last modified ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boomerang

Programmer
Mar 30, 2001
NL
Do you quickly want to know when a certain website is last modified? Try this.

1) add a random website to your favorites
2) in your favorites right-click on this favorite and choose propertys
3) change the URL into javascript:alert(document.lastModified) Change on the other tab, the name of this favorite into (for example) "This website last modified"
4) click OK
5) click yes at the warning about "problems with shortcut"
6) then surf to any website you want.
7) finally click on your new favorite "This website last modified" and see what happens.

Boomerang is back :)
only for a short time [sad]

<-- My sport: Boomerang throwing !!
!! Many Happy Returns !! -->

Wullie's right, but thanks for writing the tip, it will work for many sites.

ALFII.com
---------------------
If this post answered or helped to answer your question, please reply with such so that forum members with a similar question will know to use this advice.

Of course is Wullie right. Most of the time he's right. [thumbsup2]

But it isn't ment to be for (good) dynamic sites. These are usualy modified well, because otherwise people will leave those sites.
My tip is ment for sites with information where you can't find out the "age" of the information.

By the way Wullie, how's life. I didn't login a long time here on tek-tips as you probably already noticed. The reason is that my career as web-programmer stopped 18 months ago, because of a merge of my company with a hughe other company. 3 months after the merge there was a reorganization and 200 people had to leave, including me. Because a was only 2 years in the ICT business, I could find a job at my age (40). So I ha dto go back to my old field of study (electrical and low-voltage installattions) to feed my family. Now I'm a sales executive for fire detection and extinguish installations.

So web programming is only a hobby again, but unfortunately I can't spend any time at it. Just this week a little bit and I just wanted to post someting, like the old days :)
Good luck with your bussiness Wullie. It seems it looks good for you?

Boomerang

Well, would you believe I replied to this thread and I didn't even notice who posted it. [blush]

Sorry to hear about the job situation.

I'm doing well, business is getting bigger all the time. I've not really been on TT much recently because my time online is mostly spent with the business now and I spend a lot of the day with my daughter. My fiance is expecting again in Febuary so I'll have even less time to spend online then.

And just to clarify what I meant about dynamic sites wasn't so much forums etc, but the above code will always report the current time on some sites. Try running it on the home page of my site, I use includes and also run some calculations on the page, so it will always show the time you loaded the page. [wink]

Wullie

Fresh Look - Quality Coldfusion Hosting

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails. - John Maxwell

Bear in mind also that it won't tell you when a particular web site was modified, just a particular web page.

It's a useful technique though. Try Googling for "bookmarklets" to find more of the same.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

"..I use includes and also run some calculations on the page, so it will always show the time you loaded the page..."

I understand Wullie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back