Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHEN IN THE WORLD WILL I NEED THIS?!? ICND1 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyforhire

Technical User
Mar 11, 2008
US
Ok so i picked up a few videos and i'm getting to the subnetting. I have been watching these videos like i'm going to die if i don't watch 24hours of video in a week.

So i get the concept of subnetting but lets be honest when am I or a company going to need 40 networks with with only two useable host bits?

A question i was asked was to find out the range of ip's you can use for a network requiring 40 networks on an ip of 200.1.1.0 running on a class C network.

So, after coming up with the answer of 200.1.1.0-200.1.1.3 and a subnet of 255.255.252.0. So i can't use the 1.0 and i can't use the 1.3 so that only gives me 2 ip's that i can use on that network.

Has anyone ever had to deal with 20 routers at the same time? (this is good for a router->router connection) I understand that this is just good learning but i have meet alot of network admins and they have never used this math to get the answer. So should i start using this math and any pointers on getting the solution that i came up with to save any time?

Awesome.. Thanks guys...

So I have
192.168.1.0 /31

That gives me
192.168.1.0 on one end of my PPP link and
192.168.1.1 on the other

Works on PPP links only and has been tested with OSPF, EIGRP, IS IS and BGP. Effectively eliminated directed broadcasts and SMURF DDoS attacks..

I will have to play with it.. Thanks a million for the info guys!

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back