Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

When in DOS the A & D are not seen 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsaneRage

Technical User
Jan 4, 2005
US
I have a laptop... I reformated the hard drive ..I'm running on Win98 SE... the A & D drives run fine or are seen okay when in Windows... When in DOS the A & D are not seen.... do you know how to fix that issue ? *hopes that makes sense*

How are you booting into DOS? If with the floppy, that is the "A" drive. Do you mean you can see all the screen in DOS, but not the A:/ (D:/) prompt, or that nothing is on the screen? Most likely the screen resolution is different in DOS, than in Windows. You may have to change the screen resolution in DOS (or shrink the screen) to see the whole thing.

When in DOS I can get the directory for C ... but, I can't change to the A or D drives, it says that they are not there or something. I don't know any better way to explain this, maybe I should just toss it, or try a reformat again?

What DOS? And how are you getting to it?
DOS finds the devices at load time from the hardware available. If the D: is not FAT16 or less it can't be recognized by earlier DOS versions.
Will your system boot from the floppy? If not, that might be a reason the A: isn't seen.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

This is a laptop. Are the A and D drives external (USB or otherwise)? If so and you boot to DOS then the system may not recognize them without drivers.

Either way if D is a CDROM then DOS will require drivers for it to be usable.

"If you can do something about it, why waste time getting upset? If you can't do anything about it, why bother getting upset on top of it? -Shantideva

Problem solved, amazing what the correct drivers can accomplish, to think I use to consider myself smart.

Thank you micker377, edfair, and timtroop for responding to my post.

(The thankies button seems to be broke on the forum, or just having issues, hard to tell)

ir;
consider it done [pipe]

TT4U

Notification:
These are just my thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions.
Backup All Important Data/Docs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back