Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

WHEN I TRY TO OPEN A SCREEN TO MODIFY IT FOX SHUTS DOWN 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

aguilar

Technical User
Aug 14, 2002
MX
I USE FOX PRO FOR WINDOWS 2.6A.

WHEN I TRIED TO OPEN A SCREEN TO MODIFY IT, FOX SHUTS DOWN WITHOUT ANY ERROR MESSAGE. IT HAPPENED YESTERDAY AND TODAY I COULD WORK FINE UNTIL THE AFTERNOON WHEN IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

ANY IDEAS OF WHAT IS GOING ON?

THANKS IN ADVANCE.

ENRIQUE A. AGUILARYASOCS@YAHOO.COM

SORRY I FORGOT TO TELL THAT IM RUNNING FOX IN W2K.

Are there any indications of problems in one of the Event logs? Have you applied the High Speed CPU patch? Are you using GENSCRNX? Have you applied SP2 or SP3 for Win2K?

Rick

THANKS RICK FOR YOUR ANSWER. I REALLY APPRECIATTE IT.

ABOUT THE EVENTS LOG, IN SYSTEM I FOUND THIS INFOMATION:

Tipo de suceso: Información
Origen del suceso: Application Popup
Categoría del suceso: Ninguno
Id. del suceso: 26
Fecha: 03/09/2002
Hora: 06:36:18 p.m.
Usuario: No disponible
Equipo: QUIQUE
Descripción:
Aplicación emergente: Error de aplicación : FOXPROW ha causado una infracción de acceso en ntdll.dll en 0x77fc9906.

Haga clic en Cerrar para terminar la aplicación
Haga clic en Omitir para continuar, debería guardar su trabajo en un archivo nuevo.

I KNOW ITS IN SPANISH, IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND IT, TELL ME AND I WILL TRANSLATE IT FOR YOU, AND YES THIS ERROR SHOWED UP BEFORE I HAD THE PROBLEM.

ABOUT THE PATCH I ALREADY APPLIED IT.

ABOUT GENSRNX, I MUST TELL THAT IM NOT A PROGRAMMER, IM A LAWYER, HOW CAN I KNOW IF IM USING IT?

AT LAST I HAVENT APPLIED ANY SP TO MY W2K. SHOULD I?

THNAKS AGAIN FOR YOUR REPLY.

Well I haven't studied Spanish, but I presume it basically says "FOXPROW has caused an access error in NTDLL.DLL at 0x77fc9906".
Unfortunately this is a generic error, and means little more than "something went wrong". This could be a problem with the OS, a problem with a hardware driver or a problem caused by other programs that are running.
For the OS, see the discussion on the Service Pack(s) below.
For the drivers, check to see if you've got up-to-drivers - especially for your video card and printer(s).
Other programs that can cause problems are virus checkers, screen savers and anything that may be not written explicitly for the Windows 32-bit environment (Win 3.x and DOS applications).

To see if you are using GENSCRNX, in the command window:
Code:
modify command sys(2019) NOMODIFY
This is your CONFIG.FPW file, and just look for two lines like:
_GENSCRN=d:\foxproz\genscrnx\GENSCRNX.PRG
_genscrnX=d:\fpw26\genscrn.prg
Note: Don't worry about the unbolded information - that's specific on my system, and would likely be different on yours.

There were a number of disk caching problems that seemed to affect programmers / database applications the most. Service Pack 2, seem to fix this for most everyone. SP 3 for Windows 2000 came out just a couple weeks ago, and it corrected additional problems - go to for more info on this.

Rick

RICK:

I JUST APPLIED SP3. LETS SEE IF ITS THE SOLUTION FOR MY PROBLEM.

ABOUT GENSCRNX, IN MY CONFIG.FPW I DONT HAVE ANYTHING LIKE THE LINES YOU WROTE.

IF YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTION IT WILL BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS

Hi Enrique,

This sometimes happens to me as well, though mostly when I'm working with reports.
My best guess is that as I go through numerous cycles of 'rebuild project' + run main program, the memory is gets filled up with arrays and other large variables.
When I quit and start FoxPro again on a regular basis, I don't encounter this problem.
At least on the Win2K machine I don't have to do that every half hour or so, unlike when I'm using my Mac, where the menubar going warped indicates it's time to save and quit...

Jan Schenkel.

"As we grow older, we grow both wiser and more foolish at the same time." (De Rochefoucald)

I'm using Fox 2.6a in Win2K and this problem normally happens when your current default printer could not be located (normally network printer) Go to printer settings, locate a local printer (LPT1) and set it as the default printer. It will normally solve my problem.

HEY GUYS:

CODETYKO IS RIGHT!

THE PROBLEM ALWAYS HAPPENS WHEN MY SECRETARIES TURN OFF THEIR STATIONS, AND THE PRINTERS. THATS WHY I COULD WORK IN THE MORNINGS AND NOT IN THE AFTERNOON.

YESTERDAY FPW SHUT DOWN AGAIN AND WHEN I TURNED ON THE STATION, THE ONE WITH MY DEFAULT PRINTER, I COULD WORK AGAIN.

CODETYKO SAYS THAT HE SOLVED HIS PROBLEM SELECTING A NEW PRINTER CONNECTED TO LPT1, BUT I DONT HAVE ANY PRINTER CONNECTED TO MY STATION.

DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM WITHOUT HAVING TO TURN ON MY SECRETARYS STATION?

I HOPE THIS WOULD HELP OTHER GUYS, AND ME TOO!

THANKS TO YOU ALL

ENRIQUE AGUILAR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back