Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

when I start my VPN server It loses internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmkos

Technical User
Apr 21, 2005
US
I am having a problem. I have never set up a VPN server before so please bear with me. When I enable my remote services for my VPN server I am unable to access the internet on the server. Once I disable the VPN server I am able to access the internet. Any suggestions on why this is happening? I am currently just using one NIC and I have statically assigned the ip address. Also when I am remote in to my pc using VNC and I make a VPN connection to my server it kicks out my VNC connection. Please help any one.

I am using windows server 2000.

Chris

Well sounds like you have a network connection to the server that is always on. Do you have this connected to a router or directly to cable/dsl ? VPN is just used for a remote connection in to your network. Please provide more details on how things are setup.

Well I figured out that my problem was that I was only using one NIC. And when I started the RAS service it was locking that connection down and not letting me connect to the internet. The other issue that I had was that on my client machines that were connecting to the VPN server were losing there internet connection once they connected. I fould the fix to this in the client setup under the networking tab, tcp/ip properties, advanced and then unchecked use default gateway on remote network.

Hi there I have just had the same problem,it appears that you will need two network cards in your machine. the first has the internet connection the second is used for VPN.
first network card = (example)
192.168.0.1 (gateway)
second network card = (example)
no gateway address and no dns.
if you have a firewall it must forward the VPN port to 192.168.0.3
Hope This helps,
Billy.

cmkos: Using that "fix" causes you to lose connectivity to the VPN while you are using the internet.

You can not use both at the same time, even though you are "connected" to both.

Secondly, your VPN must be misconfigured if you are needing to use 2 NIC cards.

Computer/Network Technician
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back